Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamesapplemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
hello,

I'm new to Mac and have both Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on my Macbook. I didn't like the idea of itunes ripping all my music so decided to buy a CD ripping product. I couldn't find a mac CD ripper, so I bought Xilisoft CD Ripper and have ripped some CD's to my Windows 7 and want to bring them over to my Mac.

To have uncompressed audio for now all rips were Wav. format. After not seeing any tags, I got a little concerned because I want to sort my songs on itunes. I used NCH stamper to tag all my songs, but my Mac still didn't recognise them and worse it won't let me edit tags in itunes.

I have since read a little about wavs and tags, and I think that wavs don't hold tags, but that software the plays the songs do....is that correct??? If someone can explain wavs tags on mac's/pc's to me it would be much appreciated.

So if anyone can tell me how I can tag my current wavs on the mac (specifically so I can see them in itunes)?

Also will a product called "tuneup" help me in my quest? and worth buying?

Thanks, any help is much appreciated

newuser2310

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2010
erm... itunes has a wav encoder up to 48,000khz

You can edit the tags after you add the tune into itunes. Right click > get info > then add the info you want.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-19 at 18.29.30.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-19 at 18.29.30.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 206

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
hello,

I'm new to Mac and have both Windows 7 and Snow Leopard on my Macbook. I didn't like the idea of itunes ripping all my music so decided to buy a CD ripping product. I couldn't find a mac CD ripper, so I bought Xilisoft CD Ripper and have ripped some CD's to my Windows 7 and want to bring them over to my Mac.

To have uncompressed audio for now all rips were Wav. format. After not seeing any tags,

(1) Why not rip the CDs with iTunes? It's free and works are will as anything else.

(2) there is no way to tag a .wav file. The file format does not suport tags. The best format is Apple Lossless. (in fact it's your only option.) But don't worry, you can convert all those wav files to apple lossless. iTunes can do the conversion or you can get "XLD". XLD can also look up the track info fo you.

XLD is also not a bad way to rip CDs and convert then to lossless. It's free.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
erm... itunes has a wav encoder up to 48,000khz

You can edit the tags after you add the tune into itunes. Right click > get info > then add the info you want.

NO, do NOT transcode your CDs to 48KHz sample rate. bad idea. There is nothing to be gained and audio quality will not be as good. Keep the data in native 44.1KHz.

Now if you need the data in 48K because you are using it for video that's different.

Jamesapplemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
Thanks but

Thanks for the views and replies.

So for confirmation, when I use the NCH stamper or itunes to put "tags" onto a Wav. They are not real ID3 tags, they use something which marks the file and only that particular program will have the "tag" information? Thus my tags using stamper will not be read by itunes?

And, it looks like I should have just ripped Wavs with itunes... Is that just as good as any other? It seems strange that a company sells a cd ripper for $25 USD when itunes does the same job for free...(note I very much dislike vendor lockin and am aware apple try this on alot, so I had a mistrust in using itunes as my ripper)

Also for those that suggested to convert to lossless: Yes, I do plan to eventually convert to apple lossless which will have tags, but just for now while I'm doing all the ripping I want the full uncompressed version.

OK, if itunes rips is the way forward, I still have about 250 songs ripped using a PC, is there no way to get the tags onto itunes? Assuming further/new itunes rips will show "tags".

Thanks again, much much appreciated.

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
Also for those that suggested to convert to lossless: Yes, I do plan to eventually convert to apple lossless which will have tags, but just for now while I'm doing all the ripping I want the full uncompressed version.

Uhmm... why? :confused: The only advantage I see is being able to use them in programs which don't support Apple Lossless, but otherwise there is no real drawback.

Plumbstone

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
XLD is an amazing bit of software but the only lossless format it supports is FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec - I think :confused:) which itunes is currently unable to read. Your best bet as has been stated before is to rip them directly into itunes using ALAC (Apple Losless.....).

At the end of the day lossless is lossless; ALAC files are not compressed and will phase cancel perfectly with a wav version but you can tag right from the get go. You won't even have to do anything as itunes will automatically use gracenote to find the information for you and you can set it up to rip automatically when you insert a CD. The files themselves will take up much less space on your hard drive too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.