Way to acces a remote filesystem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aleza84, Feb 1, 2014.

1. aleza84 macrumors newbie

Dont know if this is the correct subforum to ask

I have a linux server currently offering my filesystems via ftp, stftp, afp over my local network, works great.

How can I access any of those filesystem remotely (not in my local lan)???

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

SFTP/SSH would be the best way for that. Forward an external port other than 22 to your server's internal IP address port 22. Then access from afar using your external IP address and your new non-22 port.

3. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Security through obscurity does nothing but create a false sense of security. If the OP is going with your suggestion they should look into something like fail2ban, the hackers will be scanning all ports on a public IP looking for openings.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=fail...fW9Aan6YHQCw&gbv=1&sei=ksHtUteBFoTdkQeC_4CIBQ

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

While it does little, it does fend off most script kiddies that constantly probe and prod at the common ports. It's such a simple thing to use a different port, for failure to do so you can get broken in to, flooded logs, or have trouble properly integrating fail2ban it seems silly not to change it.

5. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

What so you think the script kiddies have not caught on to the changing of the port by now incredible...

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I've had a few production level machines running non-stop for a few years now. Most have both 22 and a higher 9,000 numbered port forwarded to their port 22. Fail2ban is constantly banning IP's from port 22, but it has yet to ban any IP (other than my own) from the higher port, even on the machines that only have the higher port forwarded. While it may be a shallow security measure, it does provide a way to quickly sweep away a very large, if not all, of the unwanted traffic.

7. aleza84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use terminal sftp/ssh a lot i was wondering if there was a way to add my sftp as you would see a file server in a network, so I graphically see files and manipulate them not using terminal.

8. pmau macrumors 65816

apt-get install netatalk

mount them as afp volumes.

Extra points for adding DNS records to make them visible in the Finder

http://dns-sd.org/ServerStaticSetup.html

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can use tools such as Transmit or Cyberduck. There is even a tool that will allow you to view them with Finder called sshfs. I'm not sure if sshfs works with newer versions of Mac OS X, but I recall using it a few times with 10.5.

10. aleza84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I already have netatalk working on my server, and it works perfectly in my local network, I want to be able to access them when I am not in my local network.

----------

Thanks will look into it!

11. pmau macrumors 65816

All zou need is a port-forward from your router to port 548 and the proper static DNS entries. If you don't run your own Domain/DNS Zone you can easily buy that at DynDNS or similar.

Bu I have both on the Internet on a linux server with static IP.

12. aleza84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Working perfectly, added the port forwarding in my router I can access with no problems.

Thanks