Way to delete viewed movies from the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Chip NoVaMac, May 9, 2010.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

IIRC on the iPhone it was possible to delete movies on it after viewing them. Does this exist on the iPad?

The reason I ask this is that I have a flash drive that I can load up with movies when I am on the road. And was thinking that I could load up the iPad with movies (based on the testing I have done so far looks like I can fit about 10 movies with the rest of the Apps and content so far on my 64GB iPad). But would be great to delete what I have watched and use the Camera Connector Kit to load the next set of movies.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You can delete movies from the iPad. What I am not sure you can do is copy new ones off an external device that is not running iTunes.

3. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You can delete video two ways on the iPad:

1) You can hold your finger on top of the video artwork until you get an X (similar to the way you delete apps).

2) You can swipe just like the iPhone. In TV Shows, you have to be within a season to swipe.

You’ll have to check out the Camera Connection Kit thread, but initial reports suggested any video imported from an SD card shows up in the Photo Gallery (like iPhoto) instead of Videos.app since that’s sort of the point of the kit.

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As to deleting I guess it works like on the iPhone - once viewed we are given the option to delete it then? I have not yet viewed a movie all the way thru yet. :eek: :)

5. MacVDS macrumors regular

Yup, it works. As noted, imported movies end up in the "last import"/"All Imported" or "Events" album. While there is no way to move them into the actual Video app, they do play just fine assuming they were created in MP4 or whatever video format the iPad or Camera Kit recognizes. I just copied Ice Age onto a Cruzer USB thumb drive and used the camera kit to import it. Worked fine.

Anything imported on to the iPad with the camera kit can be deleted in the "Import" album, including videos without needing to sync via iTunes.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Sweet! More storage options is a great thing! If I could only stick my 1TB Passport USB drive into that kit, I'd be in hog heaven!!! :D

7. wombat888 macrumors 6502a

Wow, cool. I was going to get a camera kit anyway.

8. MacVDS macrumors regular

Well, problem is, you can only import data to the iPad so I'm not sure how that would be of big advantage over a few cheap SD or Thumb drives for additional storage on the go. Having said that, who knows what magic developers can eventually do with the camera kit or hardware similar to it.

9. MacVDS macrumors regular

Just remember, whatever media you use to import video or photos, make sure the root directory is DCIM. The Camera Kit doesn't seem to recognize any data not contained in that directory. ;)

10. bniu macrumors 6502a

dude, awesome trick! Thanks for sharing, now I'll just go grab some 64GB USB Sticks and I can take my entire library with me!

11. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks, for some reason that did not work for me before - but is now. :)

Good to know. Will have to test it out and see how the video quality is over going through iTunes. I only have one movie I purchased through iTunes so far. And that was more of a test of the iPad Video function.

For my idea to work will require me to use the Photo App if I am following you for the DVD's I own and have ripped...

Yes a sweet solution - but was thinking something more portable like SD cards. Work for a camera store so I can get these on the cheap through work. :D

Thanks to all! MR rocks in trying to get the most out of our Apple stuff!!!

Learned how to rip for best quality of my DVD's and even get the iTunes info included for when I want to use the Video App on the iPad. And now how to take a library of my DVD's on travel and view, delete and add at will. :)

Again thanks for the help...

12. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Did not know that. Nice!

13. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Did a quick test here, and the M4V file seem did transfer over; but without the title name. :( Going to do a test naming with a file number instead and see how that goes... Worst case I keep a list of the files with the date that they were added and choose from there...

Have to do some testing here... looks like a "paper" listing sorted by date and time is in order to make a USB keychain work :( The video quality was very good... equal IMO as with the Video App. :) Small price to pay in order to have our movies with us in a portable form... :D BTW a single movie upload was pretty quick IMO.

Based on further testing this may be a decent way to save some space for those on the fence over the 16/32/64 debate... in my brief test it looked like that chapters was supported in the Photo App, though not as neatly as it is in the Video App...

14. Serena22 macrumors newbie

Easy delete of movie from iPad 4

Go to videos app.
    On the menu bar you will see an "edit" button at the far right. Touch it.
    x's will appear at the upper left corner of all the movies you have.
    Touch the "x" on the movie you wish to delete. A box will appear on your
    screen that asks you to confirm that you indeed wish to delete that selection.
    Touch "delete" and the message and your deletion choice disappear.
    That is all. You are done.

15. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

the only thing that I see wrong with the camera connection kit is this - you still have to have that 1.5-2.5 GBs available on your iPad to load the movie. If you could stream from the kit and not have to worry about keeping space on the iPad free that would be sweet (mostly for 16gb owners)

I do agree that the camera connection kit is a sweet setup to be able to have all your movies with you without needing an Internet connection, or having movies you've ripped.

I purchased a drive from Kingston called the Wi-Drive, it's a pretty sweet device!

16. lashl macrumors newbie

First post here but I do have a question. When I insert my 8gb usb stick into the camera attachment I get the message that it requires too much power. Is there a work around?