Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
US
So ive been searching around looking for info on how to improve the, mediocre at best, range of my MBP. I mean i would be willing to get a usb wireless deal if that vastly improves performance. Im just tired of my macs wireless severely slowing down just because im a few feet further in a direction. So any info would be appreciated.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
So ive been searching around looking for info on how to improve the, mediocre at best, range of my MBP. I mean i would be willing to get a usb wireless deal if that vastly improves performance. Im just tired of my macs wireless severely slowing down just because im a few feet further in a direction. So any info would be appreciated.

What router do you have? My MBP (2007) handles wireless really well.

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
US
What router do you have? My MBP (2007) handles wireless really well.

well its not so much my home router, those are fine b/c im within like 20 feet. Its when im at a coffee shop, or school, or trying to um pirate a wifi arrrrr:p
School has a cisco vpn client deal, but if i move like 20 feet from a main area in the school the wifi drop a bar, but i lose like 3 mbs down speed. its silly. I just need some trick to help me get some extra range

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
well its not so much my home router, those are fine b/c im within like 20 feet. Its when im at a coffee shop, or school, or trying to um pirate a wifi arrrrr:p
School has a cisco vpn client deal, but if i move like 20 feet from a main area in the school the wifi drop a bar, but i lose like 3 mbs down speed. its silly. I just need some trick to help me get some extra range

no tricks

power plugged in helps about 20%

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
US
no tricks

power plugged in helps about 20%

that sucks, i was hoping there was a usb wireless receiver i could carry in my back pack so i can get the wifi i need if my mac cant quite get it good enough. Sounds stupid for a laptop that has wifi built in, but if i need the net for classes then i NEED it. It just sucks that my old super crappy dell inspiron get better reception than my MBP

CountPollen

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
N-wifi RangeBooster

Got a D-Link DWA-140 RangeBooster.
Drivers at d-links website, not on the cd in the package (said it was windows only :p )
Extra usb utility software at ralink website.
google is your friend. I have been looking to improve my N-wifi for a couple of weeks and I'm a happy man now :)

Good luck!

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
US
Drivers at d-links website, not on the cd in the package (said it was windows only :p )
google is your friend. I have been looking to improve my N-wifi for a couple of weeks and I'm a happy man now :)

Good luck!

so i assume this helps in picking up signal where ever you might be? not just for a router you might have configured

CountPollen

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
so i assume this helps in picking up signal where ever you might be? not just for a router you might have configured

yes, I've been 2 weeks without internet provider at my home.
The white plastic macbook of my girlfriend found 5 networks, including 2 open ones, my MBP found only 2 networks in my house (which were password protected). I experimented holding my macbook pro in different positions at around the same location of the macbook, but didn't get a reliable reception.
So I bought a usb wifi card for € 59, which solved all of my problems.

It is ideal to use while travelling, because it comes with a cable and docking station so you can put it near a window :)

CountPollen

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2008
Antwerp, Belgium
Wireless (USB)

Hi,

I have similar problems.
My white (plastic) MB has ± 5-7 wireless networks, my alu MBP has 1 or 2 at any moment inside the house... And I live in a densely populated area.

Recently I bought a D-Link WPA-140, which helped a little, but the device stopped working after 3 weeks and is now being "repaired". This has already taken 6 weeks!

There is one solution for you (one which I can't afford):
QuickerTek makes great USB devices you can hang on the egde of your screen.

Hope to have helped you out there.

Next week I'll bring my MBP back to the shop (for some other problems). I'll ask if they can check the bad wifi. Keep you posted.

Cheers,
CountPollen

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 14, 2008
US
hmm, i thought this died along time ago lol. but yah, i was just looking for a little usb stick type wireless deal, so that i can pick up better signal at school, and or make it easier to borrow some wifi wile on the road.

DAAAAAAAVE

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2008
Sydney, Australia

Good luck!

Will that be an improvement on Feb release MBPs (first with multitouch ones)? Cause i though they were N already

UniPro

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
Orange County, CA
I find that in my UMBP and my iPhone as well, that the wifi strength signal is very inaccurate and fluctuates between either full strength or one bar. Its highly annoying in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.