Way to re-map TAB key for improved data entry on OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrdctaylor, Sep 28, 2009.

1. mrdctaylor macrumors member

mrdctaylor

I posted this on the OS X Forum about a week ago and got no responses. I started thinking about it and realized that maybe I should've posted it here. So, I apologize in advance for the cross-post.

--------------------------

Guys,

My wife has a MBP with an Apple Keyboard (with numeric keypad). She is a teacher and has to sit down and enter lots of grades into an online system (in a web browser). To move between fields she has to hit the TAB key, obviously. However, it would be much faster for her if we could re-map one of the keys near the numeric keypad to act as a TAB key. That way, she could enter the grades using only her left hand. If could be one of the function keys, the clear key, I don't really care. I've tried to find things to accomplish this and have had no luck so far. She uses Firefox, so it could even be a FF plugin since we only need this re-mapping while using Firefox.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You might try DoubleCommand.

The developer's web site said he hasn't tested it on SL yet, but others have and have said it works in 32-bit mode.

mt

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Does her keyboard have arrow keys? Mine are located next to the number pad.

4. mrdctaylor thread starter macrumors member

mrdctaylor

Yes, but they will not move from field to field within the browser's table unfortunately. I suspect that works fine for something like Excel, but not in this case.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Darn, that's too bad. Does Control-4 / Control-6 / Control-8 / Control-2 do anything? I also have two Control keys. One is just to the left of my arrow keys. That would be awkward to do with the left hand however.

My keyboard also has a two tab keys. Not trying to make you jealous, but the second one is above the 7 of the number pad.

6. mrdctaylor thread starter macrumors member

mrdctaylor

What keyboard do you have? We're just using the wired Apple keyboard (with the keypad) that they sell now.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

8. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp