Way to run 1 Windows app on OS X? (without VMware or Boot Camp)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgpg89, Aug 10, 2011.

1. mgpg89 macrumors 6502a

mgpg89

I need to run 1 Windows app on my system and there's no Mac alternative.

However, installing a Virtual Machine or Boot Camp partition seems overkill for just one single app. Are there any other ways to run the app on my system?

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

You can use WINE. Don't expect it work though.

Personally I use this build. Just open your exe and chose to open without wrapping it w/ wineskin.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Try Virtual box, its a competitor to vmware/parallels. The advantage over those two are that its free. You just need to supply windows (as you would with vmware/parallels)

Wine may work but the compatibility list is woefully short. Your only viable option is to run a version of windows either in virtualization or bootcamp

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Which app? I'm sure you're mistaken that there isn't an Mac alternative.

5. benjaminaho macrumors member

benjaminaho

Darn I was going to say WINE! I researched WINE thinking it was only for Linux, but it turns out its for Mac OS X as well. As far as I know you could X11, but I know almost noting about it.

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

This is what I use too. It has worked on most applications I have tried it with. But these are mostly just simple apps that don't require installers or anything, not sure how it would handle a game or something similar.