Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

intro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
Looking at a used iphone 2g Monday and I'd like to know if I can swap in my brother's AT&T non-iphone sim card to see if i can make calls or if other features are working.

the P.O. says he has wiped it but I'd like a way to know if said iphone works before getting home to plug into itunes.

Are these phones generally ok?

Even the ones that brick from uneducated hacking seem to have a fix.

Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
no it will say incorrect SIM. if it comes on it probably works. long as the touch screen works the comm boards are a VERy rare problem, not enough to worry with. make sure al the icons click and you're good to go.

intro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2008
the guy selling it to me said the only thing that comes on the screen when turned on is something saying to connect to itunes.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
The latest eBay trend is to put the phone in recovery, like this one is. You think it is just a software issue and can force it into DFU and restore and everything will be fine, when in reality they put it in recovery mode so you couldn't tell the digitizer was messed up on the phone.

Nobody is going to be able to help with this issues. You have to decide to buy it or not. Until you restore it, you're not going to know if it is just a Fw issue or an actual hardware issue with someone trying to cover something up. Make your decision.

rtztgue

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
i have swapped at&t sims from iphone to none iphones without a problem. You just have to make sure it is the 3g sim. AT&T likes to make it sound like you have to have some specific sim, but that is crap. As long as the sim says 3g on it, you should be fine. I have done it 4 or 5 times, from different phones on different plans... seems to work fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.