Way To Use Bundled Discs to Install On Different Mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Makosuke, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

First, no I'm not trying to be sleazy here; a friend asked me to look at her iBook because of an email issue, and I realized she was still running OS9 and using Outlook Express. Ouch.

Well, I have an unused retail copy of Panther around from days of yore, so I offered to add some junk-drawer RAM and install OSX on it for her. So she drops it off at my house this evening, and I'm sitting here trying to install 10.3.

Except when I opened the box, I can only find install discs 2 and 3 of Panther--disc 1 is SOMEWHERE, but for the life of me I can't find it. I do, however, have the 10.3 OS install discs from a G5 iMac laying around. But of course, since it's not a G5 iMac, it refuses to install.

I really wanted to have it ready tomorrow so I could show her around, and I seem to remember there being a simple trick for doing this, but Google and the forum search are not being my friends.

Honestly not trying to do anything illegal here (since I HAVE a legit license, just can't find one of the install discs, I believe what I'm trying to do is technically within my legal rights), so I hope the powers that be don't mind the thread.

Help?

2. Matek macrumors 6502a

Since you do own a legit copy/license, you can IMHO just download an appropriate OS X version (torrent, etc) and install it without feeling guilty. Consider it a backup someone else made for you and put it on the internet :eek:.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

cannot remember if target disk mode off of the G5 would work.

4. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Argh... just realized I put this in the wrong subforum. Sorry.

Matek--Obviously that's an option, though one I rather try to avoid given the potential for getting lord-knows-what instead of what you're looking for, not to mention the annoyance of a 600MB download. But that's my last-ditch effort.

Hmm... that's certainly an idea. Definitely worth a shot. Thanks for the suggestion!