Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Anyone know of a way to run the CarPlay interface on your iPhone, instead of relying on a car stereo? I would love to mount my iPhone in the car and have the simpler interface, but to my knowledge, you can only use CarPlay if you have a compatible car stereo... correct? Any third-party apps or solutions to replicate the same functionality you get with CarPlay?

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Anyone know of a way to run the CarPlay interface on your iPhone, instead of relying on a car stereo? I would love to mount my iPhone in the car and have the simpler interface, but to my knowledge, you can only use CarPlay if you have a compatible car stereo... correct? Any third-party apps or solutions to replicate the same functionality you get with CarPlay?

If you have a plus model iPhone you get the landscape which IMO is actually better than CarPlay especially if you stream your music/gps to your car.

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
If you have a plus model iPhone you get the landscape which IMO is actually better than CarPlay especially if you stream your music/gps to your car.
I wondered if a Plus in landscape was really the same thing. Since I've never actually used CarPlay, I assumed there were some useful options it included, but if it's really just a landscape touchscreen interface for the iPhone, but yeah... a Plus would do what I want.

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
I wondered if a Plus in landscape was really the same thing. Since I've never actually used CarPlay, I assumed there were some useful options it included, but if it's really just a landscape touchscreen interface for the iPhone, but yeah... a Plus would do what I want.

No landscape dialer.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U can always replace the car's stock HU with an after market carplay capable. Dunno the damage$$.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
U can always replace the car's stock HU with an after market carplay capable. Dunno the damage$$.
This in most newer cars pretty much breaks the car.

No on star/BMW assist/whatever they are
No changing certain settings- on most newer cars changing settings like daytime running lights etc are done on the radio

Etc.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011

IMO you could set up the apps on your phones homescreen to get similar results uh aside from the landscape phone dialer.

If you trust or use Siri enough the "hey Siri" user experience is nearly identical with caryplay or landscape iPhone plus.

The extremely premium priced CarPlay decks isn't worth it imo compared to a landscape iPhone plus. $600-$1000 iPhone + $400-$600 CarPlay deck to gimp your phones functionally while driving? Pass

Maybe if you have a non plus iPhone and find a super deal on a CarPlay deck.

Kevin L.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah, CarPlay head units are at between $500 and $2000 right now. Thus the reason I thought I would see if there's a way to do the same thing with apps, but it sounds like a Plus is the way to go.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
You would have to jailbreak your iPhone to get it like this:

bff25790995fcdfd82448b1cf8b930f4.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.