Way to use Messages in iOS 6 without texting plan?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Kevin L., Oct 4, 2012.

1. Kevin L. macrumors member

I'm trying to figure out the complex matrix of the new Messages iOS 6 app. So many "if-then" situations that determine when it's an SMS or when it's just a "chat" through an internet connection.
    Has anyone found a good resource explaining this? In particular, I'm using my iPhone 5 without a texting plan, but I still want to be able to chat with others who may be on their computer. Am I locked in to only sending/receiving SMS when I'm on 4G or LTE?
    -Kevin
    PS: I somehow thought the new Messages would allow me to chat with AIM contacts, like Messages did on Lion. Maybe Apple should have chosen different product names because now I expect the iOS Messages app to act like the Messages program I installed in Lion on my MBP.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

In settings turn off send as SMS. As long as the send button is blue it'll go as an iMessage if it fails it will give you the option to send again or revert to text.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, you're not. It's very simple actually: if you compose a message to an Apple ID, it goes through as an iMessage. If you're sending a message to a phone number, your iPhone will check with Apple's servers to see if that number is registered to receive iMessages. If it is, it gets sent as an iMessage.

Even easier: if the box where you're typing your message has "iMessage" in it, it's going as an iMessage. If it says Text Message," it's going out as an SMS.

I didn't have that problem, at all.

4. Kevin L. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for that help! I really appreciate it!