Ways Beyond the Typical How the Apple Watch Will Improve Your Life?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MICHAELSD, Apr 12, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've already found a few scenarios where the Apple Watch could be useful:

- I use my iPhone as my alarm clock, which leads to me sometimes spending an hour in bed using it before I get up. Sure, I could buy an alarm clock and leave my phone downstairs but then I wouldn't be able to check texts or call someone in the case of an emergency. With the AW, I can check texts, calls, and emails then get out of bed.

- Tracking heart rate at gym to ensure I'm in the optimal range.

- Using it as GPS in the car. I don't like having to mount my iPhone, plus all the dash mounts I've tried frankly suck.

Looking forward to some clever responses.

2. kovey macrumors 6502a

Please do not use your Apple watch screen as a GPS in the car. You're going to kill somebody and have to live with it for the rest of your life.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'd keep it on my wrist. When the car is moving I'll listen to Siri, plus it taps you to let you know which direction to go in.

4. kovey macrumors 6502a

Simple taps are no replacement for a true GPS. On a simple intersection where your only option is left or right, a tap might be useful, but we all know that roads can be confusing to navigate even with a full fledged GPS mounted on your dash.

I again ask you not to do this.

5. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

Yeah, I agree with urging you not to use it as a GPS in your car... an iPhone mount would be much safer (and efficient)

I am personally excited to use the HR monitor. I like to workout, but have never used a HR monitor before.

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I wont know until I use it for awhile if it will make things easier. I want to gve it a shot though.:cool:

7. jplusc macrumors 6502a

Myself, I'm super excited about the AppleTV control as I'm a cord cutter and use it as my main source of media. I have one for each TV in the house and I hide the remotes from the kids so it's a pain to always need my iPhone to control it.

Second, I have a Wink Hub for my home lighting so I'm hoping for an Apple Watch app vs needing my phone to control everything.

8. Wildgift macrumors 6502

Yeah Apple TV remote will rule.

9. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Honestly I think the people "urging him" not to use it for GPS in the car are overreacting. Worry about the people texting while driving, drinking while driving, or talking on their phone (non-Bluetooth) in their own little world.

Glancing at your wrist occasionally and being aware of the taps is no more dangerous than adjusting your radio or air conditioner, or glancing in your rear view mirror for a second.

This device is not going to turn a responsible driver into an irresponsible driver.

10. fs454 macrumors 65816

This.

11. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Hell, worry about people who fail to signal their turns. Statistics show that causes more accidents than distracted driving, yet it's not as popular of a bandwagon as electronic device usage.

12. kovey macrumors 6502a

Source for your made up "statistic". Otherwise, no. Not putting on a blinker obviously does not cause more accidents than distracted driving.

13. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I like that the Watch can wake you up with taps instead of noise, especially if an alarm would wake up others that don't need to get up yet.

14. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I take it you expect to charge it some other time besides while you sleep then?

15. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Yes, I totally made this up.

16. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Here are my use case scenarios, partly based on my experience with Pebble watches since they came out.

1. I work in an industry where cell phones have to be locked away when we're performing certain activities in certain areas of the building (fortunately this is a sporadic job duty for me). With my Pebble, I can still receivie notifications and with the Apple Watch I will be able to do more since I can act on them.
    2. I have a '99 roadster that has no Bluetooth and it's a manual transmission. I will now be able to make hands-free calls, control my iPhone's music and get haptic turn-by-turn navigation.
    3. Part of my job is instructor-led training. Unfortunately, the rest of my job doesn't get put on hold during those weeks. With my Pebble, I can see texts and emails as they come in and budget time accordingly for responses. With Apple Watch, those notifications will be actionable. Much less time going through email after class.

Do I need one? No...no one does. But it does make life easier.

17. Ries macrumors 68000

Those scenarios are all outlawed in my country. You even loose the drivers license if caught 3 times.

----------

Whats the tap sequence for "take third exit in round about, not counting the entry only road, then immediately turn right"?

18. dotnet macrumors 6502a

dotnet

- .- -.- . / - .... .. .-. -.. / . -..- .. - / .. -. / .-. --- ..- -. -.. / .- -... --- ..- - / -. --- - / -.-. --- ..- -. - .. -. --. / - .... . / . -. - .-. -.-- / --- -. .-.. -.-- / .-. --- .- -.. / - .... . -. / .. -- -- . -.. .. .- - . .-.. -.-- / - ..- .-. -. / .-. .. --. .... -

:)

19. kovey macrumors 6502a

Did you bother to read it? It's a tiny sample that's extrapolated and it even states "may be more dangerous than distracted driving.", but enjoy twisting words to make your own stupid point. Don't wear a seatbelt, either. You got it under control.

20. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I use a logitech app to control my TV, but I'm not holding out hope that they will make a watch interface... they are terrible about updates as it is.

21. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I'm going to use it to go back in time and tell myself to buy lots of Apple stock when it was close to bankruptcy. Then when I come back I'll be able to afford the Edition watch. Life changing!

22. Domino8282, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015

Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

**************************:
    http://www.siegfriedandjensen.com/failure-to-to-use-turn-signals-causes-more-accidents-than-distracted-driving/

Also, I would not call a sample of 12,000 "tiny."

It's not so much the fact that you disagree with the research (which is perfectly valid - that sample size is enormous). It's the fact that you were so sure of yourself that you called his statistic "made up," and then accused him of "twisting words." It doesn't strengthen your argument; it makes you appear irrational.

If you lost a loved one due to being hit by a distracted driver, I am very sorry for your loss. Otherwise, I'm not sure why you are having such difficulty being objective.