Ways to back up entire music library

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by SpiceGrrl, Nov 13, 2010.

1. SpiceGrrl macrumors member

Hi, Mac newbie here, just bought my first Mac products (21" iMac and 64G iPad) last month.

One problem is that I have too many iTunes accounts. I pleaded my case with iTunes customer service and happily, they have allowed me to re-download my purchases from one account to another. Yay! But I want to do it right (I'm a little nervous) and also I haven't backed up my music library in a really long time. Like 4 years. So I am thinking maybe a full backup might be in order. I have 2700 songs (14G).

Before doing anything, I want to identify the various backup options.

Burn to CDs--UGH--This would take forever and require a million CDs, right?

Can I sync to my iPad? Would I then be able to re-sync in the other direction if somehow my music library got lost off the iMac?

What about using a USB thumb drive? Can it be done that way?

What other options exist?

Any comments on the pros and cons of these various methods would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

SpiceGrrl

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about an extra external HDD, you could even back up other data. But a USB thumb-drive will do, just copy the iTunes Music folder, unless you have scattered your music outside of that folder.

3. SpiceGrrl thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Spinnerlys. You have come to my rescue before. You must troll these boards constantly. SO glad I don't have to burn a zillion discs. The data are transferring to my brand new 16G thumb drive right now.

I heart Spinnerlys. :)

SpiceGrrl

4. SpiceGrrl thread starter macrumors member

Uh, dumb question, with music backed up to a thumb drive, I can transfer it from there back to the computer, right? You probably wouldn't have suggested it if I couldn't, but I cannot find any mention of a thumb drive on the iTunes support website. There are instructions for how to transfer music to an authorized computer from an iPad, iPod and iPhone, but a thumb drive is not mentioned.

A little paranoid, I know, just making absolutely sure,

SpiceGrrl

5. paolo- macrumors 6502a

From iTunes, simply click add to library and choose the folder with the music on your thumb drive.