Ways to back up SHSH on 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by PhazonUK, Mar 28, 2011.

1. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

Recently got my iPhone 4 replaced as the lock button broke. I had it JB on 4.2.1 and luckily my replacement unit came with 4.2.1.
    Unfortunately the iPhone has been acting a little strange (random restarts, turning off for no reason) and I need to restore it, but of course I want to keep it on 4.2.1 so that I can JB it.

What options do I have to save the SHSH? I've already got it JB and it's now been 3 days and Cydia still tells me it's in the pending TSS queue. Is there any other way I can restore to 4.2.1?

2. QuarterSwede, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Unfortunately no. Once Apple stops signing a Firmware you can't get those blobs saved and since they only sign the current firmware you don't really have a choice. They're only signing 4.3.1 now (possibly still 4.3, not sure).

You have a few options though:

1) Stay on 4.2.1 till an untethered jailbreak is released for 4.3.1. The good news is that the exploit is done. It just needs to be packaged up and the remaining bugs squashed. No ETA is given because of complainers.

2) You could take a chance and update to 4.3.1 and use PwnageTool to give you a tethered jailbreak. It's experimental so you milage may vary. I'm on 4.3 jailbroken and the only problem I've had is updating to Cydia 1.1.1. Now I can't install anything but that could be device specific. I haven't had the want (no compelling new apps/tweaks or updates) to try a complete restore to see if that fixes it or if Cydia isn't ready for 4.3. I believe the current version of PwnageTool comes with the old version of Cydia which worked perfectly on 4.3.

3. PhazonUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh ok, thanks. I guess I'll just stick with 4.2.1 for now and hope it stops restarting itself and junk.

4. XxS4CR3DxX macrumors member

XxS4CR3DxX