Ways to block calls and texts on AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jmy2469, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jmy2469 macrumors member

Is there a way to block calls and texts from a number on AT&T? I know about the Smart Limits feature that AT&T has, looking for other ways.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Other than with Smart Limits, no there is not.

One suggestion I've seen is to create a ringtone that is just a few seconds of silence, then assign that ringtone to the number you don't want to hear from. That way at least you won't hear it ringing. It will still vibrate if the mute switch is on, though.

3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

If its just a few numbers, then the smart limits is your best bet.
    Unless you're jailbroken.

4. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If smart limits has to do with the carrier it's the only way that I can recall to truly block numbers without jailbreak. I know on Verizon u can temp block up to 5 numbers ever 30 days for free and up to 20 numbers for as long as u are willing to pay $4.99 a month.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It's sad that non-smartphones have had this ability for years, but the iPhone doesn't.

6. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Trap Call from the App Store. There is a sign-up fee and it is $4.99/mo. I signed up because it displays the phone number where the caller has blocked it. AT&T does not have a free option and cannot block calls where the caller blocks their number.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Talk about a scam (just like paying for text messages). It costs them nothing for a computer to block a call. Sickening.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

It's a carrier thing.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Not exactly, or at least it is not LIMITED to carrier control. There are apps on the Android marketplace that allow you to do exactly this. Thing is, apple doesn't let developers lay a finger on their precious phone in their devkit. Until that happens, all we have is jailbreak to save us.

10. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

And the computers to block the call, the maintenance/support on those computers, the operation of those computers, and the system for the user to make the settings on this computers costs nothing?

With that said, it should be a free service. :)

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It is free on Sprint, we can block up to 50 numbers, per phone, for free.

12. Primejimbo, Dec 12, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I would get this over Smart Limits from AT&T.

Now I had a few dumb phones block numbers, but it was when I was on Verizon. There was an option that would only let calls/text come and go if the number was in the phone book, and can set a pass code for it, and great for parents. I used it for my daughter's phone when we had Verizon. At the time it was on certain LG phones (Envy 2 was one of them). I was amazed it wasn't on all Verizon phones and it was LG that had this.. at the time... it might have changed since.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Obviously you got my point. It's so cheap for them to offer it should be a crime they charge for it. /hyperbole

14. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I can't find Trap Call in the App store. It must be for the US only ?

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I think so, I found it and it even says not for Hawaii, Puerto Rico or Alaska residents.

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

My old Samsung Eternity (and I'd assume many other phones), a non-smartphone, has built in 'auto-reject' capabilities.

Calls from a number on the list would be sent straight to VM without ringing or otherwise bothering me.

Sure, it'd be more effective if done at the carrier level, but at least it was a decent option and (extremely) easy to set up/ change as needed.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

18. nouveau macrumors member

Only way is to jailbreak and install iBlacklist

19. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Of course, another options would be to use Google Voice as your primary phone number - which allows you to block unwanted calls/ texts.

20. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I just did this on Sprint. I blocked text messages. I don't know if ATT has the same means, but I would assume if Sprints has it, ATT should. Go to your account online with ATT. You should see Settings or Preferences, set instant messages accordingly to what ATT allows you to change. I'm not sure if it will block messages to specific numbers your trying to avoid.

21. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

$4.99/mo is a small price to pay to end harassing calls/texts. Sadly though, I didn't realize the 30 number limit wouldn't be enough.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for future use, use google voice and only give that number out to people (and have it forwarded to your iphone). You can easily block numbers with that

23. hexonxonx macrumors 601

iBlacklist! I have it set to block all blocked calls. Only people in my contacts get through.

I also reset my voicemail so when callers call, they get the message that my VM box is not set up so they can not leave a message. I have had numerous calls where they have some system that prevents the phone from ringing and goes straight to VM. I don't have anyone important calling me to where they would need to leave a VM.

24. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Well maybe I'm cheap. As I don't see paying for a service that should be available for free.

So what I've done is create a contact called "Do Not Answer". I then set the ringtone to a silent ringtone. So I never hear it.
    It doesn't block any calls, or texts. But I dont pay for nothing either. Its a cheap alternative.

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Wow. If you have more than 30 people harassing you, its time for a new number. And a new identity... ;)