Ways to cool down MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RetroKiddd, Jun 10, 2010.

1. RetroKiddd macrumors newbie

I have a 5 1/2 month old MBP (13") & it gets hot (as do most MacBooks from what I read). I have a cooler (a Targus) that I plug into my MBP with a USB & my laptop still seems to get hot (or really,really warm).
    I read about that fan control app or whatever,but I don't really know how to use it & I'm that I'll get into settings that shouldn't be altered & screw up my computer.
    My computer's CPU's temp is 8O right now (I'm unsure if its good,okay,or bad) & I hear the fans over the cooler's fans.

What are a few ways to cool my MBP down? & What are a few good coolers for laptops?

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

use the fan control app. it allows you to customize your own fan speed. it's a simple click of a button to change the speed.

default = normal fan speed
    higher rpm = higher fan speed
    customize = what you set it to be.

this is probably the most helpful since you're able to control the internal fan manually. no need for accessories.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps are quite normal, as dozens of threads on this topic will show. The fans will automatically spin up faster when the temp goes high enough for a sustained period of time.

4. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

I put mine in the freezer for a couple of minutes, make sure not too long though, don't exceed 2 minutes or it might cause damage

5. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

The freezer is moist and a terrible idea. Avoid humidity. Avoid condensation.

6. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

:eek:

Wow, I just about feel off my chair when I read this. This is a very bad idea for many, many reasons.

Another poster mentioned condensation and moisture which is absolutely correct but that is not the biggest problem.

The rapid expansion/constriction of material is the most common failures in electronics. The computer heats up, parts expand gradually and then they cool down and constrict. This constant movement (though tiny) causes minute fractures that can cause all sort of problems in the long run. Intermittent issues, fractured traces, cracked chips, the list just goes on and on...

Forcing rapid cooling of expanded parts only exacerbates the problem; meaning you are shortening the life of your computer.

Remember that keeping something cool from the onset versus cooling down a hot object is a much more healthy approach for electronics.

When I play a game that I know will heat up my MPB I put the fans on pretty high (as much as 6200). Replacing a fan -if it ever did go out- is much simpler than trying to track down an intermittent short on a trace somewhere on the motherboard.

I have been playing DOA a lot here recently. I can keep my MBP very cool if I run SMC @ 6200 before I start playing rather than letting the fans try to cool a hot notebook.

Try it and see...

Cheers!
    -P

7. dubels macrumors 6502

its a joke

8. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

they don't know that :p

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

i put mine under the sink to clean the screen

10. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

try undervolting your CPU; coolbook helped my MBP in OSX and RMClock for windows.

11. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

12. iverson76 macrumors newbie

do the 13" MBP's run hot?

I'm in the market for one and I can't get a clear answer really. I have a Vaio that feels like its shooting flames out from underneath when its on my lap for more than 10 minutes. I was hoping to avoid that.

13. D0rk macrumors member

I've gotten my new 13 inch up to 80C during some DVD encoding. Any strenuous activity will bring the CPU up to the 60C range and thats when the bottom of the laptop and the top edge above the F keys starts getting very warm to the touch. At that point it can get uncomfortable to hold it on your legs.

14. theJamie macrumors member

I just use smc fan control. I leave mine on at 6000 when I am without air conditioning. Florida summers are killers.

15. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

16. vant macrumors 65816

How is it a joke? He says 'make sure you remove it after 2 minutes'. Sounds like he is serious to me.

Personally, I undervolt to help my temps. Although the MBP is safe generally up to 100c

17. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

fail at reading all the posts