ways to copy dvd's onto imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by andrewline6, Jul 20, 2008.

1. andrewline6 macrumors member

ok i hav ordered a 24" imac and i cant wait to watch dvds on it. but some dvd's i dont own like dvds that my friends hav. what can i do to hav those dvds saved on my imac so i can watch them whenever i want?
    i will hav toast titanium by the the way.

thanks in advance.

2. muldul macrumors 6502

I use HandBrake. It rips the dvd directly to your hard drive and you can watch it when ever with out the dvd, or even on your iPod. Handbrake is a free download

3. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

An alternative to Handbrake is MacTheRipper, which basically does the same thing.

4. gehrbox macrumors 65816

gehrbox

My vote is for Handbrake.

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

Handbrake is really the best way to go - and it includes different presets and everything so all you have to do is select one and rip it

6. Fallinangel macrumors regular

Fallinangel

Unfortunately, I'mAMac is wrong! :eek:
    MacTheRipper is just a ripper, it copies the copy-protected DVD files (.vob, .vts, etc.) to a location on your harddrive!
    Whereas Handbrake is a multiplatform converter tool. It can also convert the ripped DVD files to another, often compressed and lossy, file format (.avi, .mpg, .mov, .mp4, etc.).

Only if you have a fast enough computer, you don't have to use MacTheRipper first, because your CPU can handle ripping and encoding at the same time!
    My old iMac 1.8GHz G5 can't do it, but my brother's MacBook Pro 2,33GHz does it like it was easy!