Ways to determine network problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Michael CM1, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I feel blind here because it's hard to test for everything I need to determine why I have such weird network issues.

For starters: I have the Windstream modem they basically force you to use now. It has built-in 802.11g WiFi. I tried turning that off until I figured out making changes to the firmware was much harder (impossible) since I don't have a wired ethernet connector within 25 feet of that box. So it's on and so is my approximately 6-year-old AEBS. I think it's one of the first with 802.11n and dual-band (5GHz) networks.

Sometimes I notice where my connection seems to slow to a crawl, like when watching streaming video. I have a 25Mbps service. The issue that made me ditch Windstream was when it choked up each time I did more than one thing on the connection, be they simple or intensive. It was just a 6Mb connection, but a song download and watching a Netflix video shouldn't completely shut me down back then.

I have made an educated guess that perhaps going through the AEBS to connect to the incoming pipe is slowing something down. That box is about 6 years old, so something could be weaker than the Windstream box. Sometimes streaming video from my NAS hard drive through my iMac to my Apple TV is PAINFULLY SLOW. All of these devices are within 50 feet of each other.

My Windstream box, AEBS, NAS hard drive and another external HDD sit next to each other on a small shelf in about as central of a location as I can get in my 1,400-square-foot house. When my WiFi in my bedroom would disconnect, I decided to just connect everything I could to my Windstream box. It seems to work better.

But I like the AEBS tools. Is there a good way to test for the network signals interfering with each other? My parents have an AEBS that's a year older and some of this is likely the same issue in their house, which is larger and longer. The new Uverse setup there has the AEBS at one end of the house and all WiFi craps out at the other end.

Thanks for any advice I can get!

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

Check out Netspot to see if your wireless networks are interfering with one another (or with a neighbor). What you're looking for is networks that overlap on the same channel with similar signal levels.

In general I've seen a lot of issues in homes with the combined Windstream router feeding another router. Unless you're a real networking guru, you may be better off eliminating the additional router.