Ways to fix the battery calibrator?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AHDuke99, Aug 6, 2008.

1. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

While according to my usage stats, I have been getting pretty mediocre battery life (3 hrs usage, 12-14 hours standby with 3G off/GPS off), whenever I plug it in, many times the battery jumps from 20% to 50% immediately. I've tried restoring twice with both 2.0 and again 2.0.1, resetting the phone by holding dow nthe home and power button, draining it until it called for me to plug it in and then charged it fully, and I am still getting inaccurate readings. I got the 10% warning just now and plugged it in and it jumped to 50%.

What other tips can I do to try to get my meter to read it correctly?

2. specops macrumors regular

you're sure you have 3g off?

you should get around 6-8hrs of usage on edge. your results seem very low. possibly a bad battery?

3. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I went to settings and turned 3G off. I don't even get coverage on 3G at my beach house. So it's not using it.

I was the guy who made the thread about the Apple Store employee telling me 2 hours of usage and 12 hours of standby was the norm for times before you hit the 20% warning. Maybe I'll go back and try to talk to someone else.

4. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

What's your typical signal strength during the day? Very low to no signal will cause the radio to drain the battery pretty quick.

5. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I have 5 bars at my house on EDGE. When I get 3G in town, it's between 2-3 bars most of the time. But like I said, I am getting these usage numbers on 5 bars of EDGE.

6. firewood macrumors 604

calibrate

Have you run any complete cycles yet? (that's 100% plus an hour extra charging time to 0% auto-shutdown) That's seems to be the way to cause a battery calibration.

7. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I've done that twice with both firmwares and I am still getting sporadic battery readings.

8. liltechdude macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=539349

Here is my topic regarding a similar issue.

I am thinking with the things that you stated, you have a bad battery. Especially since you didn't have 3G enabled at all.

I am going to call the Apple Support tomorrow to see what they have to say about the battery life of my phone. I do believe that there is a batch of bad batteries going around though, mainly due to the fact that there are 800,000 iPhones being made a week over at Foxxcon. I will update you here whenever I get a chance to talk to the support.

9. AHDuke99 thread starter macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Please do. I might go to the Apple Store tomorrow late afternoon and see if I can talk with someone besides that idiot floor guy who told me 2 hours of usage without 3G on was perfectly normal. I'll wait to see what you hear first.