Ways to get discounted iphone with AT&T? Still under contract.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 6, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am under contract until 5/2009. I don't want to pay the full $399 price or the term. fee $175.
    I was thinking to add a new line for $9.99 under FamilyTalk shared plan so I can get the discounted $199 iphone 8GB. Your thoughts? Will it work? Have you tried this?

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

that might actually work, but you would end up paying $240 over the course of 2 years for the extra line, its just cheaper to pay full price

3. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Find a friend with an unused 1st gen iphone. Activate it thru itunes on your acct, then a few days later u will be eligible for the upgrade price.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I believe you are eligible for the reduced price as long as you are more than 1 year into your contract.

5. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

Actually it's anywhere from 18-24 months into you're contract sadly. Also, if you're on a family plan and one of the other lines is eligible for an upgrade, you might be able to use theirs and just swap the sim cards, that is if they let use their upgrade.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Ah I assumed it was the same requirement as people who bought their iPhones more than 1 year ago. I don't buy subsidized phones, so I was just guessing. ;)

7. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I am not on a Family plan now. I want to add a line and change my current plan to family.

I called ATT and they will not lower the ETF for iphones. They will for other phones.

I don't know if the itunes trick will work because once you activate the iPhone 2G, you automatically sign up for a 2 yr contract, right?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The AT&T store will set this change for you.

9. pcm128 macrumors newbie

Starting a FamilyTalk Plan

Slightly different scenario here...I'm starting a new FamilyTalk plan, with three lines - two regular cheap trash phones, and one iPhone 3G. As I'm starting a new two year contract, will AT&T offer the discounted iPhone, or will I end up being charged the full price?

10. Seibikitei macrumors member

I see no reason why you wouldn't get the subsidized price if you're starting a completely new account. When I bought mine I was with a friend and he jumped ship from Verizon, started up a family plan, and got the subsidized price. You could call them or ask a rep at a AT&T store to be safe though.

11. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Only problem with all of this is that AT&T won't port number from one account to another.

FYI, adding a new line sounds like a solution, but only worth it if you need that extra line. If you don't, do the math and save yourself the trouble.