Ways to improve the performance of MBP 2010 Mid

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jan 29, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I installed at 1T Samsung SSD drive on this machine (i7, 266GHz, 8GB RAM). I am quit satisfied with the performance. I read that one could replace the DVD drive by another SSD drive to make it even faster. Is it worth to do it? What other things can I do to improve the performance of this machine? I plan to use it until this year machine comes out. If I am satisfied with the GPU performance of this machine, maybe I will use it longer.

2. Macyourdayy macrumors regular

Macyourdayy

Well, it is an i7. You could check on macsales.com or crucial to see if yours takes 16GB, but another SSD won't make it faster unless you raid them, but I couldn't be bothered checking whether yours has sata 3 capability. Chances are not, so that will limit overall performance.
    I've just finished testing (I think) a sandisk ultra II in my DVD bay on a 17" late 2011 i7 and it reports a 6 gig link with no instability yet, so fingers crossed. That keeps the SMS working on the spinner and so far it finally seems to be living up to its performance promise.
    So, 2TB drive space, 16GB ram and a 1920x1200 screen, with user replicable parts. Sweet.
    Yours should be fine but if you can squeeze in some more ram, so who needs the new throwaway machines, although the screens are beautiful. When you finish, compare the geek bench scores, see if it's worth it. The pro SSD's will also give a speed boost over a wide range of drive functions.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Bump the RAM to 16 GB.

The only way an SSD in the optical bay would improve performance is if you were to set up RAID0 between the two drives, and even then the optical bay port may (not sure on your model) run at a slower speed and end up dragging the main drive's performance down anyway.

The SATA ports in your machine will only be SATA 2 if i'm not mistaken, so super high spec SSD is not really required, virtually any modern SATA SSD will out-run your ports.

If you're just planning to hold out until the new machines are out, i wouldn't throw any more money at it, you're already at the point of diminishing returns.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Nothing really. If you've already upgraded to a SSD and installed 8GB of RAM, you're basically maxed out.

2010 15"/17" MacBook Pros max out at 8GB of RAM.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

There is an ExpressCard/34 port. What can we do with this port to increase the performance of our MBP 17" Mid 2010? It seems that one could add a usb 3.0 port to this slot. Is it worth? What else can we do with this unused slot?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's really not much you can do at this point. SSD and ram are your only options to improving the performance. While it may be a great computer, it is going on 6 years which is a lot for computers at this point.

7. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Although I got it in 2010, I seldom use it as I had two rMBP from work the past four years. Now that I don't have those two rMBP, I need to use the 2010. So far, the performance is fine. I may postpone the purchase of the next rMBP to 1-2 years later.