Ways to keep keys clean?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by February1088, Nov 1, 2010.

1. February1088 macrumors member

I currently use a keyboard protector (Moshi clearguard) on my MBP but after usage, the protector makes the keyboard really ugly to look at. It isn't as "clear" as many people have reviewed. Anyway, when I try using it without the protector, the oil from my fingertips (my fingers feel dry!) seem to make the keys glossy (the nasty kind of glossy)

I realize that I can use the keyboard without the protector, and then scrub it down every week but that seems like a huge hassle.

Is there a way I can make the keys look exactly like they look without the protector and still make it resistant from the gloss from the skin oil?

Maybe apply a small special film on each of the keys? or get some professional coating done on the keys?

The Moshi protector seemed somewhat clear when I first used it but after time, it really isn't clear and makes the keyboard look dirty

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

finger in mouth, finger rubbing keyboard, every time something is spotted.
    works like a charm. does sound nasty but I wash my hands quite often.

3. Ach111es macrumors regular

Maybe nail polish, like the clear french manicure stuff. Thats like "nu-skin" for your fingernails almost. but then its just going to be dirty and oily on top of that.

just clean it every 2 weeks and get a screen protector for when its closed.

4. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Just wipe it off with a Microfiber cloth every once in a while. No big deal.

7. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I'd try another keyboard protector. Have Moshii clear on desktop and iSkin on MBP. People say iSkin paint wears off after a while, hasn't yet for me. Using these protectors is expensive but still think it's the easiest way to go.

8. missfriend macrumors newbie

why the Moshi protector gets dirty so easily? Can you choose another type of protector?

9. akswun macrumors regular

akswun

how bout buying a seperate keyboard? or are you using your laptop constantly?

I rarely use the keyboard because my MBP has become my desktop(23"LCD)

But really wash your hands before you use your computer. Don't eat when using it. Be smart.

10. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I have the Moshi clearguard and i don't care if the guard gets dirty. As long as my keys are protected I'm fine. It kills me how people act like they need there MBP to be spotless. Sorry it's not going to happen. I'd rather use a dull keyboard cover than lowering my resale value because the letters on the keys have faded.

11. leesa246 macrumors newbie

HA! Perfect.

12. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

13. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

That's what I do. Also, wash your hands after you eat, or use hand wipes on your hands, etc. I cannot stand oily keyboards, I clean both my pc and MacBook keyboards almost every 2-3 days. Takes 5 seconds.