Ways to power up the Mac Mini beside the power button

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ploki, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Ploki macrumors 68040

2. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

3. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

the question is how do i enforce powerfailure without any damage to the system?
    i've read about the shutdown -u command but it does nothing here.

4. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

What do you mean "enforce powerfailure"? I can do a normal shutdown, turn off power via UPS button, come back later and power on via UPS button, system boots up without power button.

5. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

How do you do that? :eek:
    you mean i just need to:
    1) enable poweroff after power failure
    2) shutdown as normal (via shutdown menu)
    3) kill power via external means (unplugging cable, killing a switch)
    4) power back on?

6. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Yes, but there is no "enable poweroff after power failure" option that I know of. Do you see the option "Start up automatically after a power failure"? Maybe it only works properly if you have a UPS attached via USB cable. I never tried it without one.

7. wardie macrumors regular

I have a UPS with USB cable and yes the power off automatically works fine and it gives you a range of parameters like % battery remaining, time remaining etc. But I can’t think either how to do it without this option. Maybe you could “spoof” a UPS service via some hardware and USB?

8. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

yeah sorry - unfortunately it only works if i cut power, not if i shutdown correctly, so i guess i need an UPS just to get that functionality. :O

I tried the shutdown -u which supposedly simulated a "dirty" shutoff, but the command doesnt work.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 12, 2019 ---
    that sounds great.
    or some piece of code that would enable UPS option on power management

9. saulinpa macrumors 6502a

Good that the root issue was identified. I can confirm that after disconnecting the USB connection to the UPS my Mac no longer boots when power is restored.

10. Ploki thread starter macrumors 68040

seems such a mundane thing to implement for a small headless Mac, christ, most people have it tucked somewhere behind a screen/drawer/whatever. Having to use an UPS or hassle with finding the power button seems like a terrible implementation