Waze App for iOS Gains Pandora Music Streaming Support

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Google-owned mapping app Waze has been updated with support for Pandora music streaming, as revealed in a blog post on the Pandora website.

The update means Pandora listeners on both iOS and Android can stream songs directly from within the Waze app using its embedded audio player, allowing drivers to navigate and listen to their music without leaving the app.

The integration also works both ways, so once users connect Pandora and Waze on their device, the next Waze navigational direction also appears within the official Pandora app.

To connect the two apps, simply click the music icon on the top right corner of the Waze app interface, select the Pandora icon, and start streaming your music.

Waze can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Waze App for iOS Gains Pandora Music Streaming Support

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Waze has already had Spotify integration for a while, but I am surprised to see them adding Pandora as well. I thought that the audio streaming market by now was pretty much a two-player arena, shared between Apple Music and Spotify.

Reactions: gplusplus

Davidglenn

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2014
As Google Maps has Apple Music I would have hoped Waze would also add Apple Music. That to me would be a better music streaming option.

Reactions: daveheinzel

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
I have not really noticed the use of spotify when using waze. Unless im doing something wrong?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Maybe Waze should fix the slow turns and improve there bad CarPlay before adding stuff people don’t really need
Lately my trips stop mapping.
The frequency of late notifications seems to have increased lately. But damn as soon as I stop there’s an ad populating the screen

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
But can’t you use Pandora, or any other music app, in the background? I’m failing to see the point.

"The update means Pandora listeners on both iOS and Android can stream songs directly from within the Waze app using its embedded audio player, allowing drivers to navigate and listen to their music without leaving the app."

"The integration also works both ways, so once users connect Pandora and Waze on their device, the next Waze navigational direction also appears within the official Pandora app."

The theory is you're driving, You shouldn't be switching between apps and fiddling with your phone. With this you can simply have your directions and music on one app even though they are different services.

edgonzalez32

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
But can’t you use Pandora, or any other music app, in the background? I’m failing to see the point.
"The update means Pandora listeners on both iOS and Android can stream songs directly from within the Waze app using its embedded audio player, allowing drivers to navigate and listen to their music without leaving the app."

You can have music and directions in one place rather than switching back and forth.

xizdun

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2011
I'm still waiting for Google-owned Waze to support Google Play Music and YouTube Music. Go figure.

KnightWithAK

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2019
As Google Maps has Apple Music I would have hoped Waze would also add Apple Music. That to me would be a better music streaming option.
Likely because Apple hasn't been interested yet. They may figure Google Maps is enough playing nice with Google-owned mapping products for the time being.
[doublepost=1557758842][/doublepost]
Waze has already had Spotify integration for a while, but I am surprised to see them adding Pandora as well. I thought that the audio streaming market by now was pretty much a two-player arena, shared between Apple Music and Spotify.
Nah Pandora is still up there just behind Apple Music and Spotify. And remember Apple Music is only available to those who have iPhones. Lots of people have Androids, can't just ignore that market share, especially if you're owned by Google!

ViDeOmAnCiNi

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2016
AZ
Waze needs to add a lot of things and music integration is not one of them. They need to fix the whole Freeway vs Surface streets setting where if you choose allow Freeways the damn app will do *anything* to get you back on the freeway, even go miles out of your way. If you turn off freeways then the route will get so complicated that's it's not worth driving it sometimes. They need a "Pref freeways except during rush hours" as a third option so it can calculate a part freeway, part surface streets route during rush hour.

If they want to integrate music, let's go all out and add Apple music, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, etc into the mix.

blcamp

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I could care less about the music integration; I won't rent access to songs when I have 800 albums already.

Waze needs to focus on the quality of the existing services, and fix persistent bugs. Also, re-enable "other side" reports for things such as construction and traffic jams. And STOP pushing the Carpool feature on me every 20-25 miles!

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
While I find Waze to be the best overall at rerouting on traffic jam, I wish it would address its biggest problems.
  • Battery hog. It uses far more battery than other navigation apps (Google Maps, Apple Maps). I read from somewhere that it, along with Facebook, are the worst non-game apps at energy use.
  • UI. It's not just that it's ugly, it's difficult to do very simple things.
  • Privacy concerns. Even after I reached the destination, the app loves to remain running in the background, monitoring my location.

Reactions: itr81

dysamoria

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2011
This seems like a stupid feature. Especially with the complaints about the app to begin with. I use Apple Maps and I’m content. Drivers shouldn’t be switching music every couple of minutes anyway. Pick an album or playlist in the dedicated app and then drive. Most new cars come with integration features and have some of these things already. CarPlay, etc., is meant to manage this.

Also, when did Google acquire Waze? What’s the point in maintaining the app? Aren’t they just going to shut it down in favor of their own products?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.