Waze App for iOS Gains Pandora Music Streaming Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 13, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Google-owned mapping app Waze has been updated with support for Pandora music streaming, as revealed in a blog post on the Pandora website.

[​IMG]

The update means Pandora listeners on both iOS and Android can stream songs directly from within the Waze app using its embedded audio player, allowing drivers to navigate and listen to their music without leaving the app.

The integration also works both ways, so once users connect Pandora and Waze on their device, the next Waze navigational direction also appears within the official Pandora app.

To connect the two apps, simply click the music icon on the top right corner of the Waze app interface, select the Pandora icon, and start streaming your music.

Waze can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Waze App for iOS Gains Pandora Music Streaming Support

2. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I don't quite get the value of this integration, but perhaps it'll help someone.

Waze is pretty wonderful, but I stopped using it. My location shouldn't be fed into the Google datacomplex.

4. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Maybe Waze should fix the slow turns and improve there bad CarPlay before adding stuff people don’t really need

5. one more macrumors 6502a

one more

Waze has already had Spotify integration for a while, but I am surprised to see them adding Pandora as well. I thought that the audio streaming market by now was pretty much a two-player arena, shared between Apple Music and Spotify.

6. Davidglenn macrumors member

Davidglenn

As Google Maps has Apple Music I would have hoped Waze would also add Apple Music. That to me would be a better music streaming option.

7. Guda.FL macrumors 6502

I have not really noticed the use of spotify when using waze. Unless im doing something wrong?

8. gplusplus macrumors member

gplusplus

9. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Lately my trips stop mapping.
    The frequency of late notifications seems to have increased lately. But damn as soon as I stop there’s an ad populating the screen

10. edgonzalez32 macrumors 6502

Because there are still people who prefer Pandora.

11. gplusplus macrumors member

gplusplus

But can’t you use Pandora, or any other music app, in the background? I’m failing to see the point.

12. acorntoy macrumors 65816

"The update means Pandora listeners on both iOS and Android can stream songs directly from within the Waze app using its embedded audio player, allowing drivers to navigate and listen to their music without leaving the app."

"The integration also works both ways, so once users connect Pandora and Waze on their device, the next Waze navigational direction also appears within the official Pandora app."

The theory is you're driving, You shouldn't be switching between apps and fiddling with your phone. With this you can simply have your directions and music on one app even though they are different services.

13. edgonzalez32 macrumors 6502

"The update means Pandora listeners on both iOS and Android can stream songs directly from within the Waze app using its embedded audio player, allowing drivers to navigate and listen to their music without leaving the app."

You can have music and directions in one place rather than switching back and forth.

14. xizdun macrumors regular

I'm still waiting for Google-owned Waze to support Google Play Music and YouTube Music. Go figure.

15. KnightWithAK macrumors newbie

KnightWithAK

Likely because Apple hasn't been interested yet. They may figure Google Maps is enough playing nice with Google-owned mapping products for the time being.
    --- Post Merged, May 13, 2019 ---
    Nah Pandora is still up there just behind Apple Music and Spotify. And remember Apple Music is only available to those who have iPhones. Lots of people have Androids, can't just ignore that market share, especially if you're owned by Google!

16. ViDeOmAnCiNi macrumors member

ViDeOmAnCiNi

Waze needs to add a lot of things and music integration is not one of them. They need to fix the whole Freeway vs Surface streets setting where if you choose allow Freeways the damn app will do *anything* to get you back on the freeway, even go miles out of your way. If you turn off freeways then the route will get so complicated that's it's not worth driving it sometimes. They need a "Pref freeways except during rush hours" as a third option so it can calculate a part freeway, part surface streets route during rush hour.

If they want to integrate music, let's go all out and add Apple music, Amazon Music, SiriusXM, etc into the mix.

17. blcamp macrumors regular

blcamp

I could care less about the music integration; I won't rent access to songs when I have 800 albums already.

Waze needs to focus on the quality of the existing services, and fix persistent bugs. Also, re-enable "other side" reports for things such as construction and traffic jams. And STOP pushing the Carpool feature on me every 20-25 miles!

18. nutmac macrumors 601

While I find Waze to be the best overall at rerouting on traffic jam, I wish it would address its biggest problems.
    • Battery hog. It uses far more battery than other navigation apps (Google Maps, Apple Maps). I read from somewhere that it, along with Facebook, are the worst non-game apps at energy use.
    • UI. It's not just that it's ugly, it's difficult to do very simple things.
    • Privacy concerns. Even after I reached the destination, the app loves to remain running in the background, monitoring my location.

19. dysamoria macrumors 6502a

dysamoria

This seems like a stupid feature. Especially with the complaints about the app to begin with. I use Apple Maps and I’m content. Drivers shouldn’t be switching music every couple of minutes anyway. Pick an album or playlist in the dedicated app and then drive. Most new cars come with integration features and have some of these things already. CarPlay, etc., is meant to manage this.

Also, when did Google acquire Waze? What’s the point in maintaining the app? Aren’t they just going to shut it down in favor of their own products?

20. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

It's just another stream of data for them, I assume.