Waze Becomes First Navigation App to Support Carpool Lanes

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 29, 2017.

1. iProd macrumors regular

iProd

This so much, I wouldn't even mind an in-app purchase to remove them.

2. jroman macrumors member

This is all Apple... they won’t open up to any other navigating apps besides Apple maps.

3. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Just got my 2018 Optima. Having to reinstall Apple Maps to get Navigation via Apple CarPlay in my car is just BS. I understand they want more people to use Apple Maps, but this just pisses me off as a long time iOS user.

Waze needs to be on CarPlay ASAP.

4. nutmac macrumors 601

Too bad Waze hasn't fixed "Waze is Actively Using Your Location" even when "Allow Location Access" setting is set to "While Using the App". It makes it very hard for me to trust that the app isn't draining my battery.

And yes, I realize force quitting the app or clicking "Search" then tiny "Off" button will do the same thing. But I shouldn't have to do that.

5. NomadicTy macrumors regular

Apple should have bought Waze when it was available. Pride causing missed opportunities.

6. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

You do know that Waze has been owned by Google since 2013? It's not independent and in some respects it's integrated with Google Maps itself.

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I am no expert on Waze and Google Maps, but I have read that the Waze/Google relationship is very different than what you posted.

I have read that while Google bought Waze, they let Waze to operate independently, and Google uses the data from Waze for Google Maps.

I am pretty sure that is what the person you quoted was referring to.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I'm well aware that Google purchased Waze. Waze is still a standalone app, it seems to have it's own team at Google. Although Google has added some Waze data into Google Maps, fortunately none of Google's nonsense has been added to the Waze app, and I hope it stays this way.

9. redneckitengineer macrumors 6502

redneckitengineer

I gave up on Waze when I bought a car with CarPlay. I just use the built in Maps until someone will get off their anti-compete garbage and allow this amazing app to work. On the other side, Waze doesn't work with Android Car either...so I don't know who's to blame.

10. CylonGlitch, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017

CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Waze Samis decent. I stopped using it at one point because it kept trying to route me several hours out of my way. Must have been a snafu but after 6 months it wasn’t updated and I gave up on it. Otherwise it is a great app; my bug must have been someone messed with the maps for some reason.

11. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I haven't seen this anywhere, do you have a source or link?