Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwfaust

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I just saw a post on twitter that Waze is entering beta testing of their support for CarPlay Dashboard. It's about freaking time!

Hopefully, this will come soon, and testing will go smoothly. However, if history is any indication, they will break a ton of stuff in the process.

The beta is out...

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Yeah, worked great on my drive today. Will get a better test next few days driving to work.

dwfaust

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Yeah, worked great on my drive today. Will get a better test next few days driving to work.

I had a couple of issues where GPS didn't lock in right away... Got a blue circle indicating my vicinity, but it took several minutes to lock in on my actual location and show the icon for my car.

The other thing I'd love to see is the "report" button in the upper right widget next to SEARCH and/or favorites.

Otherwise, pretty happy with what they gave us in this beta.

Reactions: Lobwedgephil

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I had a couple of issues where GPS didn't lock in right away... Got a blue circle indicating my vicinity, but it took several minutes to lock in on my actual location and show the icon for my car.

The other thing I'd love to see is the "report" button in the upper right widget next to SEARCH and/or favorites.

Otherwise, pretty happy with what they gave us in this beta.

Good thoughts, didn't even notice that as was just a short drive. My normal commute is 45 mins each way, so will test it out for sure.

Melmanoh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2020
I hope waze sends out an update soon. I’m not on beta but the current version crashes my iPhone 12 when I’m connected to Bluetooth and playing music.

dwfaust

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I hope waze sends out an update soon. I’m not on beta but the current version crashes my iPhone 12 when I’m connected to Bluetooth and playing music.

Don't want to stray too far off topic here.. but what is your configuration? Are you running wireless CarPlay? Are you connecting your phone via bluetooth and running Waze on the phone (only)? I have no issues with Waze crashing.

Melmanoh

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2020
Don't want to stray too far off topic here.. but what is your configuration? Are you running wireless CarPlay? Are you connecting your phone via bluetooth and running Waze on the phone (only)? I have no issues with Waze crashing.
You’re absolutely right I was running wireless car play but the manufacturer sent out an update for the wireless adApter and all is working now . Can’t wait for Waze on the dashboard

MCKLMT

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2018
France
208304F5-835F-47B3-B754-3521C38C91B8.png

dwfaust

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Does the Waze map show here automatically, i.e. when actively using Waze or is there a setting to allow this?

Open the fullscreen map in Waze... then switch to the Dashboard view ... the dashboard view will then display the Waze map in the map window of the dashboard.

Reactions: MCKLMT and Shing

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I'm behind on things and I should know this since I use carplay and maps all the time. How do I switch to dashboard view?

dwfaust

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I'm behind on things and I should know this since I use carplay and maps all the time. How do I switch to dashboard view?
In the lower left corner there are two icons that alternate... the 8 dots that represent icon view and a square with 3 lines that represent the Dashboard view... Just tap that button - it toggles between the two options. And if you press and hold, it will invoke Siri.

IMG_0299.PNG
IMG_2104.PNG

Last edited:

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
In the lower left corner there are two icons that alternate...

I see that you are in night mode. Is that by choice or did you attempt to get Auto mode to work and fail? I can't get my Pioneer to work in Auto display mode. In Auto it is always night mode. I finally gave up and set it to daylight mode. At least daylight mode dims when I turn on headlights.

dwfaust

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
I see that you are in night mode. Is that by choice or did you attempt to get Auto mode to work and fail? I can't get my Pioneer to work in Auto display mode. In Auto it is always night mode. I finally gave up and set it to daylight mode. At least daylight mode dims when I turn on headlights.

I much prefer the night mode... It's by choice... And to be honest, I have not even considered using light/day mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.