Waze Launches on Ford's SYNC 3 Infotainment Systems Through iOS AppLink

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

At CES in January, Ford discussed a new partnership with crowdsource navigation app Waze that aimed to bring Waze onto the touch screen of SYNC 3 vehicles through Ford's AppLink. That partnership has been fully realized today with Waze users worldwide now able to connect their iPhones to AppLink via USB and mirror Waze on their infotainment system.

[​IMG]

This allows drivers to access their favorite Waze features when following a route, searching for a nearby gas station, and even reporting traffic accidents, all while their iPhone is safely stored and locked. Voice guidance and commands are available as well through a Ford vehicle's speakers and microphone system.

The SYNC 3 integration includes recent Waze app updates like "Talk to Waze" for voice controls, route support for carpool lanes, more accurate arrival times, and more. Waze's crowdsourced navigation features are fueled when users open their smartphones and begin driving, with people typically using iPhone mounts and other products to safely drive without holding their devices.

Ford executive Don Butler explained how partnerships between carmakers like Ford and GPS apps like Waze further improve the safety of driving thanks to reducing potential smartphone distractions.
    To access the new feature users will need SYNC 3 software version 3.0 or greater installed in the vehicle, as well as iOS 11.3 and the up-to-date Waze app downloaded on the iPhone. Ford encourages customers to head to its website for more details on Waze integration.

Article Link: Waze Launches on Ford's SYNC 3 Infotainment Systems Through iOS AppLink

2. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

It is ok on the Sync system, but far from great. Let's hope this is the year Apple opens CP to 3rd party maps apps.

3. 98 others macrumors newbie

98 others

It's really taken a long time for auto companies to catch up with technology.

I'm glad to see this working out.

4. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

5. Modano macrumors regular

I get that Apple is concerned about 3rd party apps on CarPlay but it's past time for them to open it up. I love using CarPlay but it just feels so intentionally hobbled. I hope this is the year that it gets some attention.

6. tdar macrumors 6502a

Won't work on Sync 3 unless you manually switch off CarPlay. You can have CarPlay or Sync 3 apps. Not both.

7. 78Bandit macrumors 6502

78Bandit

If nothing else CarPlay needs to allow unrestricted mirroring so we we aren't dependent on Apple's "generosity" to fully utilize the device we paid for the way we want. If the app is good enough for approval in the AppStore then it should be available across all devices. Apple's insistence on closing the CP ecosystem to only those apps it wants to separately approve is ridiculous.

8. tdar macrumors 6502a

Waze is Google. I think that's the problem.

9. valenrandy macrumors member

valenrandy

Its been working ok for us for the last month. It is a bit on the laggy side but good overall. I do notice the car icon is never centered and just a tad bit to the right of center screen.

On that note I'd love to have a great weather app on car play that shows weather radar.

10. tdar macrumors 6502a

That defeats the purpose of CarPlay -to try to reduce distracted driver situations.

11. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

It is strange that CarPlay wasn't mentioned in the article.

I am sure there could be a solution or compromise to get Waze on CarPlay.

Besides, I find the bugs on CarPlay to be pretty distracting.

12. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

I don’t see Apple ever allowing Waze in CarPlay. Three reasons:

• Waze is owned by Google and Google has a directly-competing in-car solution.
    • Apple wants iOS users to use Apple Maps, not other map apps. They aren’t investing all that money into maps refinement and street view mapping for nothing.
    • Waze encourages FAR too much driver interaction while driving. If you regularly use CarPlay like I do, you know that Apple went to great pains to keep interactions simple and to a minimum. The two companies aren’t going to see eye to eye on the acceptable level of functionality and interaction.

13. ChromeAce macrumors regular

Still waiting on Grindr integration.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2018 ---
    CarPlay is for  apps only.

14. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Tried it, works, switched back to CP (which has been pretty flawless for me, even the early pre-production versions).

I believe there's a good solution that's a compromise between your two posts: provide CP with an "open" publishing model like the AppleTV (probably the best comparison as it's a smaller market, with apps that clearly compete with Apple), however, provide very specific design guidance, and careful curation to limit apps that introduce anything that's potentially hazardous (again, smaller market, easier to curate).

There's no need for Apple to limit competing apps on their hardware platform (CP = iPhone), in fact, it's counterproductive - it's the same buyer motivation for an AppleTV (resulting in a hardware sale, more buy-in to the ecosystem) when the device allows them access to non-Apple content (Amazon PV, Vudu, Google/YT).

- Open up the SDK, provide a "store" (really just a CP compatible indicator/filter in the main app store ...)
    - Document very specific requirements (they already do this ...)
    - Curate carefully considering the use case of CP (reduction of distraction, more hands free automation)

15. vertical smile macrumors 68020

vertical smile

What do you mean?

16. err404 macrumors 68020

This is a huge issue with waze. It gamifies interacting with its notifications and even displays visual ads while the driver is still in motion.
    You can argue that it is the drivers responsibility to drive safely, but Waze literally awards points for being unsafe.

17. tdar macrumors 6502a

3 thoughts about this:

Waze is owned by Google. And because of this, the desire to restrict goes two ways. Apple as you said wants you to use Apple Maps. But Waze in service to their owners, does not want to offer the best experience on a iPhone within CarPlay. They have Android Auto for that.

Apple likely does not want a large number of CarPlay apps at this time due to the number of icons issue. If they allow you to add apps to the CarPlay screen (like you can with your phone) then you'd be back to "distracted driver". I hope people will remember that Apple is in a liability situation within CarPlay. If they allow you to do something in CarPlay and you become distracted while driving and have a accident- Apple could be liable. I am sure that is part of any CarPlay decisions.

As for Waze, the best answer for us as customers I believe would be for Apple to offer Waze like services within Apple Maps.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

No. There are 3rd party media apps on CarPlay like Pocketcast, Overcast, TuneIn, Pandora, etc. They are just few and far between because Apple has to specifically allow them and they’re being very restrictive.

19. dadiy macrumors member

dadiy

Having tried this. Waze stops the iPhone turning off the screen during use, and even after a short drive of 20 mins the app crashed twice and the iPhone X was red hot from waze. I won’t be using it again.

Also you need Sync 3 version 3 which probably means you need to upgrade sync. In the UK sync doesn’t get over the air updates yet even though it prompts you to setup WiFi for updates. The ipdate from version 2.3 to 3 was 20gb and had to be installed whilst driving from usb in three parts.

20. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

I use Waze daily, I never had my phone overheat. Do you have your AC on in your car?

21. seeforyourself macrumors regular

God darn it!

I decided to get a 2016 Camry Hybrid over a 2017 Ford Fusion Energi 3 months ago! Should of gotten the Ford!

Here in New York City Waze is very ubiquitous so it’s very very accurate!

It tells you speed camera location, red light camera, and potholes. Waze intigrated alone would of won me over.

22. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

Yeah, it's interesting that there are 3rd party apps that duplicate Apple in these CP functions:

- Podcasts
    - Audiobooks
    - Streaming Music

... and while the first two are pretty trivial in terms of business/revenue, the last one is huge for Apple. It seems pretty clear they're not so much concerned with having competing services on CP (even Amazon music is available) _unless_ it's a service from Google or related companies.

*You Androids get off my lawn!!*

23. BigSky20 macrumors regular

I installed it on my Ford Explorer. Works great except for when you need to make a call. You are either on Apple CarPlay or Sync. For Waze, you are on Sync. Once I make a call, the nav screens displays a message that the Waze screen is not currently on my phone. So, when you are on a call, you then need to navigate back to Waze on the iPhone while on the call to get the Waze screen back on the nav screen, which is not easy to do on the X. Overall, I love the Waze addition to Ford, but Apple really needs to allow Waze on CarPlay.

24. Middiebear macrumors member

I’d like to hope that Apple would want a balance of convenience while reducing distractions.

It’d be nice if the main objective of CarPlay is to completely reduce the need of picking up and looking at your phone while driving.

Some car company’s own infotainment OS include the ability to surf the web or integrate Yelp...

Sure. It’s arguable if we really need web surfing or YouTube watching as a necessity as a CarPlay feature, though some simple apps like the weather or low cost gas station finder apps would be a great addition.

The biggest plus of CarPlay right now is the Maps app for navigation.

Otherwise CarPlay is extremely bare bones, even the Music app needs to be much approved.

Ironically, as CarPlay is right now it would be much easier and less distracting just pull out my phone and find a song or playlist I want than to use CarPlay.

I’ve been patient with waiting on CarPlay updates and it’s a real shame because CarPlay has so much potential.

I hope the rumors of Apple pushing a much needed overhaul and update the CarPlay to next year are not true and we’ll at least get a weather app introduced in iOS 12.

25. CDew macrumors member

This statement is incorrect: all while their iPhone is safely stored and locked.

Waze has to be running in the foreground and the phone has to remain unlocked, otherwise the image on the screen freezes and doesn’t accept input, though the audio continues to update if Waze was in the foreground when the iPhone was locked.

So don’t make the mistake of putting your iPhone to sleep before setting it down or you’ll be looking at the same I refreshed map on you SYNC display.

Like other users, I’ve noticed that the iPhone gets hot, but I’m not sure it’s much hotter than it does when it’s sitting in a dash mount. If so, it may be warmer due to it being in a closed Book Book case on my center console vs in a shell on dash mount where it’s bound to breath better.

Bottom line: Waze on my SYNC screen is still more valuable to me on my daily commute and on long trips than untimely Apple Maps traffic info, despite the quirks.