Waze

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by knemonic, May 6, 2015.

1. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Really looking forward to when waze adds watch support, I use their app all day while driving, never been a fan of apple or google maps.

I like know where cops are, and their routing is usually way better. Would like to have similar haptic feedback as the apple maps app does.

2. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

by the time you get the alert on your wrist and take your eye off the road to view your wrist... you'll be tagged by the cops. It takes about 8-13secs on average for a push notification to go from your phone then to your watch. you'll have better luck with the app open on your phone.

3. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

This seems longer than I notice it takes. How did you come up with 8-13 seconds?

4. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

you can test it a few ways... if you have a mac iMessage yourself or have someone message you and count. It has to hit your phone then get pushed to the watch. For an app like Waze that needs to notify the user instantly that delay could hurt. Not to say the idea wouldn't work just its an added delay.

5. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

I like Waze but not counting on them supporting the watch anytime soon. They have no known plans to support CarPlay and that is even a more compelling use case for me.

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

7. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Waze jumped the shark when they started requiring that anyone you want to alert to your route or ETA be part of their "social network."

This occurred after Google purchased them. Interpret that as you will. It meant a lot less usage of Waze by me and my colleagues, that much is certain.

Their traffic re-routing is still quite good, but with that change they eliminated a large part of their former allure (previously, you could just text anyone with a link to your route and ETA). It's now a reason NOT to use Waze, and creepy.

8. bjdraw macrumors 6502a

I'll try this. But while sitting at my computer, I typically receive Outlook for iOS notifications on my watch just before or at exactly the same time as I receive them in Outlook for Window. This may be that Outlook for Windows is just slow, though.

9. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Waze is owned by Google and 9/10 times, they use the same route as gmaps...it just flamboyantly notifies you that it's doing so (at least that's the case in the Seattle region).

I don't count on Waze support anytime soon, especially when Google will want to push its own Android wear.

10. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

How does a gps nav app notify you "flamboyantly"? :D

It really depends on area and number of users with Waze. I was involved early on with some of the mapping, and until users pick up in an area, both mapping and routing is kind of limited.

But if a bunch of people are using it, it's usually better than other solutions.

11. knemonic thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think I was clear, if you have the app open on your phone while driving, it wouldn't send a push notification, it would send a reminder type notification, similar to the activity type notifications to stand and walk. I mean, this would be a similar setup as the apple maps approach, you setup directions on the phone but the watch vibrates and shows on the screen when it has an update to your directions.