WCIII, PowerPC and DivX

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by spencecb, Apr 21, 2009.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I logged into Battle.net the other day to play WCIII, and had to update to version 1.23, and now I can no longer play the game.

I have an iMac G5, running the latest version of OSX. From what I can gather, the newest version of WCIII will no longer support PowerPC Macs, because it looks like it requires the latest version of DivX, which is Intel Mac only. Is this assumption correct?

Anyway around this problem if this is the case?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Do you have DivX installed on your computer?

As far as I know (and remember) Warcraft 3 and DivX did not mix.

I run Warcraft 3 on both my PowerMac G4 running Leopard, and my Macbook Pro. And Warcraft 3 runs perfectly on both.

I would suggest looking and making sure that all DivX application and parts are removed and try again.

3. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

The support page on Blizzard's website seemed to indicate that WCIII has some interaction with DivX.

I do have DivX 6 installed, which is still Universal Binary. I will try and remove all associated files with DivX when I get home tonight, but I just have a feeling that Blizzard has moved to require DivX7, which does not support PowerPC.

4. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Oh, and the error message simply says, "Sorry, Warcraft III can not be opened."

5. hustlr macrumors newbie

I dont think it uses DivX. I dont have any version of DivX installed on my MDD G4 running OS X 10.5.7. Update your quicktime. Try software update?

Or try this: (pulled from another website)

Mount the RoC and FT Disc images
    Run the FT installer
    Insert all infomation and install to default folder
    Close installer once its installed
    OR
    Insert RoC Disc
    run the installer and insert all information and install to defaiult folder
    close installer
    repeat with FT Disc

Download and run the Warcraft III FT 1.21b patch
    Run FT and connect to bnet and download the latest patch
    Enjoy life

6. hustlr macrumors newbie

Also just found this: (from another site)

I think I found a solution for the problem War3/DivX:

Some had the same problem, when the DivX codec is installed, Warcraft 3 refuses to start or quits randomly. Once the Codec files are removed from the QT folder within Library. So, if you want to play Warcraft and want to use DivX, you would always have to move the Codec files in and out of said folder.

But today, I think I found a solution: Perian.

Perian is a collection of codecs for Quick Time, in a way (like the webpage states) a Swiss-army knife for Quick Time. It includes a DivX codec, among others. I installed the codec, and threw away the DivX one. And so far, Warcraft 3 works like a charm. Maybe others want to try it out as well.

Here's the link to the homepage: http://perian.org/

7. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Thanks, this is great. I will make sure to try this as soon as I get home tonight.

Maybe WCIII doesn't use DivX, but something that has to do with Quicktime is definitely preventing WCIII from working properly.

I don't get home for about 6 hours, but I'll post a reply if this method works. Thanks again.

8. Xavier macrumors 68020

That is what i was trying to get at when I was saying you should uninstall DivX. It messes with Warcraft 3 for whatever reason.

If you want to keep the ability to play WMV movies through quicktime, try Flip4Mac

9. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I use Flip4Mac, but there are other codecs that I like to use, and DivX is one of them, so I have to have it installed. Looks like the best option is this new Perian, as it contains everything under the sun!

10. Xavier macrumors 68020

11. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Awesome, how is it?

12. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

So far, so good...WCIII FT is upgrading from the version that ships with the disc to most recent patch...Will update again in just a few.

Perian installed flawlessly, seems to be the best set of codecs that Quicktime has ever seen! How long has this been out? Never heard of it before today. Great find and suggestion, thanks!

13. imassents macrumors 6502

14. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

And....I spoke too soon. Same damn problem.

What the hell?

15. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

OMG, thanks so much. This definitely fixed the issue.

Thanks, still, for the suggestion of Perian. I will still enjoy having that.