WD 1 TB Means Slow Shut Down?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blubox, Jul 27, 2009.

1. blubox macrumors member

So, I have recently purchased a 1TB My Book Home Edition Western Digital hard drive and I have noticed that my iMac takes a long time to shut down. I disconnected the hard drive and my iMac shut down in a few seconds. I booted my iMac again with the hard drive connected and the shut down was again prolonged. What can I do to prevent such a lag? Is this hard drive a burden on my iMac? Should I change some settings? I partitioned it into two parts but then partitioned it again into one drive (just some information that may help). Anything I can do?

Oh, and why does it randomly flash lights and make noises? I'm not transferring anything in or out of the drive.

Thank you in advance!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sounds like Spotlight might be indexing. Is there a little dot flashing in the middle of the Spotlight magnifying glass on the right side of the menu bar?

3. blubox thread starter macrumors member

HAHA! Yes there is! (I do feel sheepish. lol) Is that what is causing the slow shut downs as well?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Probably, yeah. Wait until it's done indexing and try again.

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

with a 1tb drive and usb it can take as long as a day to index maybe even longer

6. blubox thread starter macrumors member

It is done indexing. Everything seems to be fine as of now. Thanks!