WD 1TB harddrive upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cfII, Aug 1, 2011.

1. cfII macrumors regular

This is regarding the western digital blue 1tb

1. So will this thing fit in the stock bay? I saw that it is 12.5mm instead of 9.5mm(?)

2. Is this a plug and play device or do I need to download drivers? Is there anything that could go wrong w the install I should know about?

3. Will the software in my mbp now( I'm running lion) recognize this drive automatically and be able to correctly partition it through bootcamp?

2. JronMasteR, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

The drive will work in your MBP. Just put it in and it will work. However, I recommend the SAMSUNG HN-M101MBB, the one I have. It was just released by SAMSUNG and it's only 9.5mm thick (standard hight).
    It runs very well in my MBP and it's quite fast for a 5400rpm drive.

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

I use the older 12.5 mm 1 TB WD drive right now in my Early-2011 17" MBP. I used it also in my older Mid-2009 17" MBP. WD released a newer model, 1 TB and 9.5 mm. This model has a higher storage density, and should be faster than the older 1 TB drive.

More info:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1191818

It has a Serial ATA or SATA interface, so you do not need any additional drivers. Mac OS X has all drivers you need.

Yes, as long as you use partition schemes (GPT) which use 4 kB blocks.

4. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Everything will work fine if you choose to get this HDD, no drivers or anything extra required

5. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Isn't it only the 17's that will fit the fatter drives?

If I needed more space on my storage drive, I'd get one. Luckily I don't. :D If speed is an issue, you should be booting off of an SSD.