WD 1tb HD in a Mac Pro ???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.Noisy, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Does anyone use a 1tb Western digital Drive in their MP ?
    i'm wondering about upgrading my 500gb to 1tb for video/music storage,
    but as yet the shops in the UK i usually have a nosy in don't stock a WD 1tb ?

tar :)

2. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

You know, I've heard 50/50 on these 1TB drives. The company I was working for actually bought like 5 of them and 2 failed right out of the box. The nice thing though is that they were replaced immediately and have a 5 year warranty.

I'm thinking of getting one eventually because my Mac Pro is just getting too many files on it and my current time machine drive doesn't have enough space on it.

~Crawn

3. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

As long as you have a decent backup system then drive failure shouldn't be too much of an issue for a home user. Failure rates are definatly higher thna whatever manufacturers peddle, but it's still less of a chance than getting a working drive that won't fail over its lifetime.

You can find both WD 1TB drives at www.scan.co.uk for under £200

4. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Not completely unrelated but I am boycotting WD because they have implemented DRM directly into their drive software, which prevents the sharing of MP3, DivX, or many other file formats between users.

HTML:
    http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/12/western-digital.html

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

That sounds lame. Does this onlt matter over networked stuff? I'm a little baffled by what this means. I just got one of these mybook drives for a friend. A 320gig for $87 from Newegg...awesome deal. It's for backing up his files which are mainly graphics and AV files. Is it crippled over USB transfer in any way?

6. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Drive software? As in the driver / "capacity gauge" software? Or the drive firmware?

Because if it is the driver / capacity / backup software - who cares - reformat it for Mac (which will make it faster in all likelihood) and don't use their software - unless you REALLY like that capacity gauge.

If it's the firmware - still a chance you could re-flash it - but probably would be harder.

FWIW my 500GB WD Pro (Firewire 800) has no such protection features. Has not stopped me from doing anything to it.

7. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I believe its just a driver. Though that still was pretty dumb on their part.

BTW, the Venture Bros. rock. :D (Or at least thats what your icon looks like to me, Doctor Venture.)

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

That IS Dr. Thaddeus Venture, his Amphetamine pills and even the nuclear powered X-1.

Nice to know I'm not alone in this world. :D

9. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

WD's 1TB drive is junk. I had three that were DOA right out of the box.

The computer would see them and they would spin up but every disk utility reported terminal failure.

10. Matek macrumors 6502a

Dude, that's FUD. First of all - this is only true for their network drives. They are meant to be used without a machine, they just have an ethernet plug and operate alone. After installing one of these drives, you need special software on your machine to actually access it over the network and it's just this software that prevents sharing of certain files. If you use another way off accessing the drive instead of this (a modification that lets you mount it like any other normal network drive), you can do whatever you want with your files. So it has nothing to do with the drive itself and using WD drives will in no way block your mp3 files or anything like that.

I still agree with your boycott, even this little software block is terribly wrong, but i felt the information you provided was a bit misleading. Also, Wired is a bit dumb for calling simple extension blocking DRM. DRM is something else.

11. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Well said.

12. deathshrub macrumors 6502

LOL THX BRO FOR FILLING ME IN

People can go do their own research. I'm not the library. How does that sound?

13. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I have a WD Netcenter - and it does not have any sharing protection - nor do I need "special software" to access it.

All settings are done just like with a router - you access it's web-address and log in.

Is there another species of NAS drives out and about?

14. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I'm running two of the WD 1TB SATA HDDs in my Mac Pro and they're brilliant. Nice and quiet and not a single issue whatsoever (like all the other WD drives I used)

If you're considering one, check out www.komplett.co.uk