WD 2TB Caviar Black announced

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by J the Ninja, Sep 1, 2009.

1. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I try to avoid going over 2 platters on my hard drives.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Christ, I wish these came out a week earlier.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ugh. Doesn't that just drive you nutz? :rolleyes: :p

Now if they hurry up and ship the RE4 version, I might be thinking upgrade... :D

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I dunno $328 is not really where I'd like the see the price start.
    And are there 4 platters? Why not just two?
    Screen shot 2009-09-02 at 11.21.11 AM.png

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

They've just started with 500GB/platter, so 1TB/platter will be off a bit yet. :(

You can always use JBOD or RAID if you want a single logical volume with capacities in excess of anything made. ;) Not exactly cheap of course, but it does work. :)

7. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

Yeah, that is pretty pricy. I'd do 2 1tb blacks and Raid 0 them if I really needed 2tb (1866gb usable). You can get 1tb Blacks for less than 100, saw a couple sell on here for 55 each!

8. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

I prefer that over loud and hot on a simple storage drive which isnt a primary.

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I'm glad to see these released. I'd like to upgrade some of my 1TB Blacks to these but I'll give it a few weeks to see if the early units have any problems.

10. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I agree about the price! I think they should be $200 for the blacks and $225 for the RAID class edition. It's pretty silly to be asking $300 ~ $330 for these! I put together a 4.5TB RAID for just under $300. So this means they're asking too much initially. Asking too much like this means they won't be selling a buttload right off and that in-turn means the prices will not drop for a good long while. 18 months from now we'll likely be paying $299 (same price) for these. Western Digital, heh! The wankers! Maybe Samsung will step up and WD will be forced to drop the prices as policy!

11. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

New capacity HDs usually start at the price points of the previous highest capacities and then start to come down in price after they have been on the shelves for a couple of months and retailers start to put them on sale. Amazing that people get double the capacity every year and a half or so and still manage to moan about it.:rolleyes:

Had a customer come in the store awhile back looking for a 20GB internal drive for his desktop. The smallest size we had was 120GB for about $60. He said "I don't need that big a drive and it's too much money. I wanted a 20GB for around $30." For $30 more he was getting 6 times the capacity.

But he wouldn't listen to me and started getting nasty and accusing me of ripping him off. As I had other customers waiting for me and didn't wish to argue with him any more, I suggested he go to CompUSA or Circuit City. :D

12. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

That's a very different situation. Your customer was out of touch with reality and probably a meth-head from the sound of it.

BTW, if they start at "the previous highest capacities" prices like you say then that would indeed be $200 ~ $225 just like I said. So you're making my point for me. Additionally when they start out so inflated it becomes difficult for the manufacturer to move enough of them fast enough to justify lowering the unit price on the typical schedule - that we're used to. I Guess we'll see. If those drives are $200 in 6 months then you're right. If it takes 18 months then I am. So mark our calendars and see you in this thread then. ;)

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

Nah...Too much effort, and in 6, let alone 18 months, I would wonder what the note on the calander was for anyway. :eek: ;) :p

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Hehehe... you don't have iCal? Just paste the URL in some box about 6 months from now and tell it to pop up or go to that page. :D

No effort at all really.

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

iWhat? :eek: :p

16. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

It's the little calendar icon that appears in your doc automatically after installing the OS. It's part of the OS I think. It was for me anyway. ;)

It has hooks into your Safari browser and also your Mail among other things. So like if I type: 3/15/2010 or March, 15, 2007 and mouse over it (in Safari) I can open iCal directly to that days and add an entry. Etc. It seems pretty handy even though I never use it myself. :eek:

17. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. Now I wouldn't mind having the capacity to how sixteen of those little beasts and raiding them. It'll make a lovely bottomless scratch drive... would be nicer if they slash the price of those unpopulated VTrak by 75% too! :D

*dreams*

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

I know what it's supposed to do, but I don't use it either. ;) Might have to do with the fact I've still not gotten around to hacking OS X on the system. :D

I was hoping this weekend, but I'm not sure now. I've been having some intermittant issues with booting off the RAID card during a restart (sometimes it skips the card's firmware and stalls, as it's the boot drive, and sometimes it works). Fine off a cold start. Stupid firmware...fix one thing, break something else. :rolleyes: I should have known better (update), even though I waited, and did the research. //GRRR. :mad: :( :(

19. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

WHAAAT???!?!?!?!

Well, hurry the f-up bro! :D

hehehe...

20. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yeah, I know. I was doing the research, and even downloaded everything (kext's, EFI emulator,... to make a Vanilla Kernel + Retail disk).

Then this firmware crap hit. :( I'm taking a break from it ATM, as I'be been up all night working on it (trying to diagnose the real cause). I've even broken out the meter on this one. It seems power related; voltage reg controller cycling too fast, as the "0"/reset pulse is too short to make it drop long enough to kick in the card's firmware (it thinks the power never cycled, from what I can tell). Technically known as "Initiate Option ROM" failure. :eek: :D

21. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Ye- can't wait for them to come down in price. I have a drobo with two WD 1TB black caviars in place and space for two more drives. Would love to mount two of these in there.

I must say I am glad about the choice of the caviar blacks. A good product.