WD 2TB MyPassport sleep mode?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rayjay86, Mar 8, 2013.

1. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

I bought a 2TB WD Drive that I use to store all my media on.

It is currently plugged into my Airport Extreme base station so that I can wirelessly access it from my mac and watch movies, listen to music, etc.

I'm just wondering, will the drive eventually go to sleep (e.g. overnight or during the day) when none of my computers are on the network and accessing it or will it stay on the whole time?

Is this bad for a drive? Do I need to manually plug/unplug it if I want it off when I'm not using it?

I had to reformat the dive to partition it and use it with my Mac so whatever software WAS on it is long gone.

2. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

My Passport spins down when connected to my MacPro. Not sure if the same is the case when connected to the AE. Just try it out. Leave it alone for an hour and try to access a file on it. If it lags a few seconds or seems to freeze up it means it had to spin up, therefore working as you want it to.

3. rayjay86 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks I'll try that.

So does that mean that it is ok/safe for the drive to "spin down" and be on for long/indefinite periods of time and then it'll "spin up" when it is needed?

4. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Yes. Doesn't mean you shouldn't keep it backed up though.