WD 320 Passport - The Definitive Thread

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lekun, Feb 27, 2008.

1. lekun macrumors regular

Hey, I want to do the WD Passport swap. It sounds like a very good deal, and I like the case that I get which will power off of the USB port. But I have some questions that seem to have been answered a bunch of different ways:

1. Does the Passport drive come with 2mb of cache or 8mb of cache?

2. Does the Passport drive generate more noise?

3. Can the MBP drive passport enclosure off only the USB port?

4. What is the warranty for the drive in the Passport?

TIA

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

8Mb of Cache (I have persoally seen and done this a few times .. im sure)

Never noticed any noise difference

Huh? I am guessing your asking if it can "power" off of one USB port .. if so .. then yes

Nothing if you crack it open and use it this way. Your best bet is to buy it at a store where you can get a "Replacement Plan" that means is something goes wrong you take it there and they usually swap it. They would rarely even really look at it much. WD would open it up and probably deam the warranty void as it has been opened by user.

4. lekun thread starter macrumors regular

I read through all those threads, and was not convinced by the answers. And most of the threads go off in a tangent about getting a spludger or some other part. Some say yes, 2mb. Some say no. And some say there are secret 16mb caches, despite no spec sheet saying so.

Excuse me if I didn't find that compelling evidence.

For me, it is a $160 purchase, which is a lot, and is worth getting to the bottom of the discrepancy. There are about ten "MB or MBP" posts a day. When I am in the mood, I take a look and offer my suggestion. When I am not, I pass along. Why take the time to post unhelpful information? I know about search, and I had already read those threads.

5. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Sorry, if it comes as a blank its 8mb and in case the same,why a 2mb
    cache? were that 16mb came from god knows

6. tekulvi macrumors member

Ok.

There was information about my call to WD and I detailed it. There was a lot of info in there. There were:

1. Model Numbers for the Passport
    2. Model numbers for the internal drive
    3. A spec sheet
    4. A call to the horses mouth
    5. Testimonials that showed people have done it (forum members).

On most threads there would not be a spec sheet or a call to the company.

Good luck on finding the information you need.

EDIT...The thread I was speaking of was:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=440783

7. lekun thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, and that information was helpful, and it really wasn't that I was doubting that you called or got that information, but quite honestly I don't right out believe the guy on the other end. A lot of time those agents on the other end know less than we do, and one call doesn't erase, for me, the fact that numerous websites say 2mb, WD site is mum on the subject for the Passport, but does list the 320 internal drive a 8mb, and then a call to WD says 16mb.

To me, I'm hoping to get corroboration. I thought maybe someone would say: I have the drive, and can use X utility to see the cache, and it says 2, 8 or 16. Or Something along those lines.