WD 320GB 7200rpm self installation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandonzar, Jun 2, 2008.

1. brandonzar macrumors regular

I just saw that WD released the 320GB 7200rpm hard drive and I am drooling because my 120GB 5400rpm drive that came with my mbp is so full I had to delete my windows partition (I only miss it for Call of Duty 4). The Apple Store nearest me won't do the upgrade without sending it out for awhile and they said I could have a service tech. at Simply Mac do it without voiding my Apple Care warranty but Simply Mac wants $60 to do it. I know I can do it myself but I'm worried that I will void my Apple Care, is there some way that Apple tracks service done to a mbp to make sure it is done by someone in the industry? :confused:

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Please use the "Search" tool and search for "warranty". There are dozens of threads on this matter.

3. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

$60 seems to me a good price to keep the warranty ability

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I used to tell people it would void the warranty; recently I called Apple Support and spoke with a supervisor who told me upgrading the internal hard drive does not void the warranty.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That will be the case if you don't break anything

It would void the warranty if you break something.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I've done the internal drive upgrade twice on my MBP (160/5400 => 200/7200 => 320/5400). It's easy. I may even do it again with the Hitachi 7K320.

However, I have kept my original drive with a clean install of the OS, no personal data, and a user login for use by Apple. If I ever have to take my MBP in for warranty work where it might have to be sent back, etc. I will reinstall that original drive first.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you break your computer using it; it voids the warranty as well. :rolleyes:

8. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Do it yourself, if you don't mess anything up, it doesn't void the warranty.

9. Kirbdog macrumors regular

Kirbdog

Do it Yourself

Replacing the HHD in your MacBook Pro is a very straight forward endeavor.
    Make sure you have the proper tools (T6 Torx, #00 Philips and a Spunger).
    I have replaced the HHD in my PowerBook, in in a few iBooks and MacBook Pros. Take your time and you will be fine.

I use the instructions posted on iFixit.com, they are very easy to follow and provide detailed photos of the process. Check them out Here

Spend 5 bucks on the tools you will need and leave the 55 you will save in your pocket. ;)

10. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone for the advice and instructions, I think I'll go ahead and do it myself.

11. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Make sure you have a clear and clean place to work, one where you can keep track easily of the tiny screws. If you lose one, you can only replace the entire set for about $50+. Get the right screwdrivers from iFixit. (Phillips #00 and Torx #6).

12. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Just to add what others have been saying,just use a ice cube tray to keep track of those screws

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

As mentioned already, use the proper tools and keep your screws organized. Also, the toughest part of the job will be removing the top case from the bottom case around the area of the optical drive. Good luck to you.

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

That's the 250 GB. There's a 320 GB, which the OP asked about. WD has also just announced the Scorpio Black, the same series of 2.5" laptop drives, but operating at 7200RPM.

However, the 250/320 GB 5400 RPM drives can be had very cheaply nowadays.

15. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Woops, is this it
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=477
    I'm wondering because I am thinking of getting it for my MBP

16. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

17. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for the advice, I already have all the proper tools, this isn't my first time tearing into an electronic device. Thats a good idea with the icecube tray, I usually end up either losing a screw or having an extra. :confused: Now I just need to find a place to buy the drive. :D

18. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I use ZipZoomFly or Newegg for best prices.

19. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

TiPB

So I replaced... and then what?

I can't seem to load an OS on it. I was using someone's powerbook install CD, as my old powerbook CDs are a few states away in storage. I don't know if it was because of the install CD, but I couldn't get anywhere past the grey screen when installing.

Turning it on in target mode works, only when hooked to my iMac. So right now I have a external-hard-drive-powerbook. It's kind of tickling me right now, in not a nice way

20. Sunnzy macrumors regular

The "Scorpio Black" also has an optional feature called "free-fall sensor", which sound a hell like the motion sensors in MacBooks...

So I am wondering, are they really the same thing? How is the MacBook (Pro)'s motion sensors implemented, on the logic board or the hard disk?

21. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I don't have any experience with powerbooks as never owned one,but it could be that the disks are machine specific,are they the same?

22. JMax1 macrumors 6502

JMax1

I don't know, that's what I was wondering too.

23. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I bet that,that's the problem,yours is a whatever ghz and his/hers is something different,but like i said I'm not 100% certain as i've never owned one,cant you get someone to mail the disks or something?

Oh and forgot to ask did you try formatting it first ( the hard drive that is )

24. brandonzar thread starter macrumors regular

I was wondering about this too, only I don't think it is an optional feature it looks like it is standard. I don't really think the 7200rpm is that great of an advantage over the 5400rpm drive (I could be wrong) but the free fall sensor would be nice. If the mbp's free fall sensor would still protect the 5400rpm drive I would just get that one and save $150.

I couldn't find the scorpio black line available for purchase anywhere though so I guess I have a bit of time to decide.