WD 320GB passport at Newegg

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by quovadis, Jan 25, 2008.

1. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

2. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

That's a really nice price. It was $185 + shipping just a few days ago! Tempting...

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just about all portable drives are limited to USB.

5. digitalField macrumors regular

That does sound like a pretty good deal.. i *just* purchased a 250gb drive from newegg for $119 and an additional 70gb for another $50 seems pretty alright.

Anyway to answer your question. I think the process of upgrading your MBP's harddrive is pretty straightforward. I was reading thread the other day that talked about the process. Something like 20 screws to get the drive out.. so a little lenghty, but straightforward nonetheless.

As for breaking the drive out of the WD case.. One of the guys at my office did it without much difficulty. Plus you can take your originally MBP drive and put it in the case!

Goodluck!

M!

6. errol macrumors 6502

errol

7. Eric Sadoyama macrumors newbie

I did this last month -- upgraded my MBP CD's drive from the original 80GB Fujitsu to a 160GB WD. ExtremeTech's instructions were very helpful.

Be sure you have the right screwdrivers, or you'll strip your screws. You need a tiny Philips driver (I think it was a #00) and a T-6 Torx driver. If you don't have screwdrivers small enough, you can buy 'em at most hardware stores. I got two Husky 8-in-1 drivers from Home Depot, one Philips/slotted and one Torx.

I would also recommend getting a plastic spudger to help pry open the MBP case. It's really, really tight around the optical drive. I didn't have a plastic spudger and used my metal screwdriver instead. It worked OK, but I left a series of dings along the edge of my case.

8. errol macrumors 6502

errol

Very true, and I'm fortunate to own a 2.5" FW800 enclosure! It's a gem :)

9. quovadis thread starter macrumors regular

quovadis

Thanks a lot guys! Will attempt this next week

10. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

I've upgraded my internal MBP 160gb one to a 250gb Passport one by Western Digital.

Went really fine and fits in perfect!

11. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

seems like a good deal, anyone know if it works on powerbooks? or if it needs some other powersource to work?

12. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

it would work as an external for a powerbook no problem.. not as an internal like it would for the intel laptops though (since it's SATA).

13. gothamm macrumors 6502a

so you can actually skin the enclosure, and use it as an internal drive? lets say i have an intel core 2 duo 2.2 macbook.

14. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

Yes. You can even take your current drive and put it in the enclosure.

Be aware that the drive shipped as a Passport external drive has less cache, and is therefore slower, than the drive shipped as a Scorpio internal drive.

15. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Just bought one to see for my self, and it is a scorpio. 3200BEVT. works fine..

Cheers!