WD 320gb Passport variances?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AuroraProject, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

they're the same drive.. just different enclosures.

2. airfrancisco macrumors regular

I got the Western Passport Essentials for my MacBook Pro and for my brother's black MacBook and it works great. Very easy to take apart the essential, it slides out to the left. Be careful not to pry it open, just pry it open to unhook it, then slide it out

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

4. dmarch macrumors regular

dmarch

I saw these drives while at BB the other day. The Elite is just a nicer enclosure and encryption software. Same HDD

5. Skystar macrumors 6502

The passport "essential" are the newer versions of the passport drives. Best Buy is actually clearancing the black 320gb regular passport for $139.99. I plan on picking one up tomorrow.

6. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

I picked one of the clearance models up on Friday, cloned the drive and just did the swap today. Nice to have lots of free space again!

7. AuroraProject thread starter macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

ok, this drive seems to vibrate a bit more than the stock Seagate 120gb, but battery life seems the same. I did get the flashing question mark folder at startup once, but it seems to be ok now. Nice to have all of my stuff on one drive and still have 178gb free!

8. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

On both drives I put in my MBP I get (got) the question mark folder for just a split second when it first boots, then the apple icon appears. You really have to watch it closely to catch it.

I suspect it's a function of the drive being cloned, but nevertheless, it works.

I love having a 320G drive in my MBP. It's nice not to have to worry about real estate....

MacDann