WD 500gb My Passport Essential

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kevinero, Dec 2, 2008.

1. kevinero macrumors newbie

I can't seem to find the answer to my question any where. I was needing to know if the hd in the WD 500gb My Passport essential is 9.5mm or if it is too large to go into a 2.16ghz black macbook. According to the western digital website the casing measurements of both the 500gb and the 320gb are the same, but I cannot find anywhere the exact model number of the hd within the casing. Any help would be great, thanks.

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I was wondering that as well. I saw them for a great price last week and almost went for it but without the specs, I figured that it would be a little hard to return if it didn't fit. Also, I'm on a need to have instead of want to have basis at this time.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I could not say exactly. But it seems as though it would be cheaper for WD to mass produce one model of 500GB 2.5" hard drive for their external enclosure and for laptops than to make two separate lines requiring two sets of manufacturing equipment.

However I could also be wrong. Anyways this 500GB 5400RPM laptop hard drive from Western Digital is the cheapest 500GB on newegg.com at the moment.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136314

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I believe it will fit.
    I am planning on putting the hard drive from my 160GB Western Digital My Passport Essential external hard drive.

You may be able to find your answer by calling WD.
    Anybody have a link to their support and help numbers?

5. kevinero thread starter macrumors newbie

I could never find a definite answer so i just went ahead and opened up the case. Turns out its a WD Scorpio Blue WD5000BEVT and it does fit in the plastic macbooks.