WD 500GB Scorpion problems...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by is300guy, Feb 25, 2010.

1. is300guy macrumors regular

Hey guys, I have a base aluminum unibody 2.26ghz 13 inch MBP and I just recently purchased a set of Crucial 4GB of ram and a WD 500GB Scorpion Blue. After installation, I would boot up the MBP and wait for it to have icon with the file folder and a question mark flashing. I'll then insert the Mac OS start up disc and wait for it to do its thing...the Apple logo for appear and the clockwise spinning logo appears below it. After waiting for nearly a minute, the screen would go black and stay black for a long period of time, then shut off by itself. I tried repeating this several times and I get the same results. I quickly came to the thought that my computer was fried somehow. I shut off the MBP and switched out the new HD and replaced it with the factory OEM 160GB HD and turned it back on and to my surprise, everything was fine. Could it be the new hard drive that is defective? Or is there a step that I might of missed? Sorry for the long story, just wanted to make sure that I covered the problems that I have been encountering. Thanks in advance.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have you tried just booting and holding the C key with the disc inserted?
    Why are you waiting for the flashing "?" to insert the disc?

3. is300guy thread starter macrumors regular

No, I haven't tried that yet. Should I hold the C key after I boot or wait a certain time and then hold the C key? And if so, for how long?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Just hold it when you boot till the OS starts up from the disc

Or you can hold the Option key when you boot and select the disc

5. is300guy thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm..I'll give that a try, thanks a bunch. And just in case that doesn't work, what would be the next thing to do?

6. is300guy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, tried both methods from holding the C key to holding the Option key from boot up and I'm still getting the same response. I've come to the conclusion that the WD Scorpion Blue 500GB I purchased from newegg.com is defective. So I already made arrangements to get it replaced. So in the mean time, the OEM HD is back in there and all is good, I just have to wait for 5 to possibly 10 days till I get a replacement from what the newegg rep said. Thx MacDawg for the help, much appreciated.

7. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

yea I'd say its just a defective drive. It's weird because I bought 4gb of crucial ram and a 500gb scorpio from newegg to put in my base 13" 2.26 and everything works perfect.

8. is300guy thread starter macrumors regular

That's cool, we got the exact same things yet, you ended up with better luck than me. Lol! Hopefully newegg does this quick cause I'm running out of room. Thx for the info.