WD 640 Gb installed. Genius bar not so genial

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babak, Jan 11, 2010.

1. babak macrumors member

Just to report to the community on my WD 640 Gb experience.

Long intro (skip, unless nothing better to do): a 2nd 500 Gb 5400 Hitachi died on me in 4 months. I asked for forum advice and decided to try installing a "better" drive to see if it will survive my ways of handling a laptop.

I bought a WD 640 Gb Scorio Blue from Microcenter for $140 + tax. Istalled without a problem and used a TimeCapsule to restore my previous machine. It took > 4 hrs using a network cable. Don't know how long for sure since I fell asleep. In the morning I found the machine restored successfully and itwas working well.
    So far, I haven't noticed any issues other people have been reporting with their WD drives (stuttering, beachballing etc.)
    Noise: overall the drive is much more quite than a Hitachi. It's baseline noise is a fan-like sound that someone on this forum described as a "whooshing" sound. I don't have a musical hearing and I can only hear it with my ear within 1-2 cm from computer. Hitachi drive had a lot of clicking/tin like sounds that were quite noticeable, and these are gone. Occasionally it does click when idling (someone here said it was the heads being moved to save energy) but the sound is low-pitched and muffled.
    When compared with my sister's MBP 13 with a Seagate 7200 320 Gb, the WD drive is subjectively a bit more quiet with possibly less vibration, but I obviously haven't done any measurements.
    Overall, it's not a completely silent drive, but I personally like it's repertoire better than Hitachi's.

------end of main post, everyting written after that is not meant to be taken seriously---------

Genius experience -- I did take the machine to the Genius Land yestrday and had the following dialogue with one of them geniuses:

ME: Hello, my hard drive broke. Again. [made a sad & begging face] Can something be done? I tried to run the Disk Utility but to no avail.... Please-please :eek::eek: save my computer [sob]

:apple:: Well, of course, don't be such a cry baby :mad: let's have a look... [runs DiskUtility and some other program, nothing seems to work]. Well your computer is obviously not working, but it's because the file clusters interference with string theory partitions were collapsed cause irrecoverable cross-referencing of indexing system. You need to go home & re-install the OS, or we do it for you if you leave the machine with us & still go home.

ME [not liking the proposal that I go home without computer]: :( but Sir, I don't think the system will install on a bad drive. Do you mind getting the disk utility to OK the drive, then I will gladly go home to re-install the OS myself.

:apple: hmmm, well [trying to accomplish that unsuccessfully] but even if I gave you a new drive, since this is the 2nd drive that fails in just 3 months I suspect that the backup that you have on your Time Capsule contains some
    errors that if transferred to the new drive will damage it as well
    . [This could only have come from a genius: a software bug containing some evil kill sequence that akin to a deadly virus destroys one hard drive after another]

ME [making a serous face, trying to look like the main protagonist of the Hitman game]: I do not agree with you. My computer is not working! Do something that it starts working. Or else :cool: [I really didn't say "or else" but I was trying to tune in to his brain frequency & transmit this threat telepathically, unfortunately he was either wearing a metallized besaball-hat or having no encephalus rendering him immune to my telepathy hacks]

:apple: [looking disiterested and trying to help a second customer that was brought to him by a receptionist]: Aha.... I see now.... now I got it figured out [I became very worried when I heard that] We will replace your logic board. [he probably noticed me becoming pale and decided to soften the blow] But don't worry it will be free of charge to you

ME [reaching into my jacket pocket for the nitroglycerin pills]: How long?

:apple: Probably around 5 days or so :p

ME [with strong russian accent]: give back my computer!

BTW -That poor fellow added to our duo by the receptionist (maybe to make me realize my time was up) needed an optical drive replacement and they also wanted him to leave the computer with them for 5 days!!! I overheard them say that the parts needed to be ordered. Why can't they stock some commonly used parts is a mystery to me. They work on Macs only, there aren't that many parts to stock, right?
    The customer asked them to order the part and call him when it was in. It was supposed to reduce the time the computer had to stay with Genius to 2 days.
    Why, why does it have to take such a long time to replace an optical drive? I middle school pupil could be taught to do that in a couple of hours :D Truly the Genius Bar - you have to be a genius to work there.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So what's your point.

I'm not sure what you're getting too.

You're upset that the apple genius wasn't all that helpful on a hard drive that died (which you installed yourself).

I don't know what model laptop you have, but until recently the hard drive was not considered a user replaceable component for MBPs.

Did you try calling western digital if you're having issues with the hard drive, or least where you purchased it from.

edit:
    btw, adding the [emotion stuff] is kind of lame and detracts from the point you're trying to make.

3. Irishman macrumors 68030

The lack of genius in that particular genius notwithstanding, you do realize that not every problem can be fixed on the spot. Some problems require more effort to properly identify and repair. Your expection that he fix it on the spot could very well have been unrealistic.

4. babak thread starter macrumors member

No, I bought the drive as a replacement after Apple offered to take the computer in for almost a week to replace the motherboard. I knew it was only a hard drive that needed to be replaced. I didn't want to be without a laptop for such a long time. How would I be posting here :D?

Take it easy, I inserted the [remarks] to add some humor to it, so it doesn't sound like another post with complaints about everything.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm easy, its just those [] remarks are juvenile, what you 13 or something.

Beside the turn around time isn't that surprising since most repair places run a full diagnostic and you have to wait in line for the technician to repair it. My experiences have been that while they promised a 2 week turn around, it's generally quicker then that.

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the problem is so many people think the can fix there own computer these days and cause themselves more harm then good.

apple wanted to replace the logic board for a reason, you replaced the drive yourself on your own diagnosis, the laptop still does not work.

go figure.

logic boards can cause premature hard drive failure , or bad hard drive symptoms.

7. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

You should have let them replace the logic board. Then they would have figured it was the HDD so you could have had a brand new logic board and a spare working HDD. Then put in the WD HDD and you would have had practically a brand new system. Silly you... :rolleyes:

8. babak thread starter macrumors member

:D I'm young @ heart.

Anyways, I did not mean to offend anyone working at Genius or otherwise related. I've had good experiences with them (when 1st drive needed to be replced), but it was at a different location.

9. babak thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely correct! :D I just didn't want to leave the computer with them for such a long time, but I did think of that.

The computer work fine after I replaced the drive myself, I am writing this message from it now. I promise to update the public in case of my hard drive's premature demise. I will then accept the logic board replacement :D

10. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

I just wanted to add myself that when I took my macbook pro in for a fried logic board they reported to me it would be 2 weeks. They called me the next morning saying that the computer was ready for pickup. This was also the same for every repair I'v done as well as ordering the computer. Apple over estimates considerably to keep you happy in case there is a delay.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If Apple previously told you the MLB may be bad then chances are the MLB may be bad. Go figure. Replacing the HDD may have solved one issue but not the other if it still exists.
    Sorry, with or without the juvenile remarks it still sounds like every other post complaining about everything right down to the turn time on a repair.

12. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

First of all...what was the reasoning behind a logic board replacement? :confused:

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'll just take jessica.'s word for it, cause the original post was too long and meandering for me to follow

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm going to have to side with the genius on this one...

Here is what happens in tech support, whether it be consumer level or corporate level the same thing always happens:

A user/customer comes in with a problem. They are the 20+ person that that technician has probably seen for the day and they want their problem fixed immediately even though there are many more people in line.

Just because the customer assumes they know what the problem is doesn't mean they are correct. Also, the fix always takes longer then the customer expects.

When diagnosing a computer problem, you must run a full diagnostic. If you don't, and there is more then one problem wrong (which there often is) the customer is going to say things like "Well, they fixed this and now thats broken and it wasn't broke before I gave it to IT". This is why a full diagnostic must be done and everything on the computer must be fixed.

As far as turn around time, there is a turn around time for installing hardware. After its installed it must be tested to ensure it works. Also there may be many people ahead of you waiting for repairs. I just had a user a few hours ago stop by my office with a broken fan. "Its just a fan why is it going to take 3 hours?!" the user asked me. I replied "Because your the 5th computer I need to take care of and replacing the fan in your laptop requires full disassembly of the laptop". The user didn't realize they aren't the only person I have to take care of.

Now that same laptop is still running a hardware test and there are a ton of errors on the harddrive. He may need a harddrive replacement as well if I cannot clear them. If I were to give the laptop back, and his drive died and he lost all his data he would have blamed IT because "Everything was working until IT touched his computer".

15. babak thread starter macrumors member

I tend to agree with your post in general. However it doesn't apply to my particular case and here is why. Only if the Genius person said "I don't know what is wrong yet, I will need to do a more thorough inspection and find out". I would have understood that. But when he went from "just reinstall the OS" to "your Time Machine backup contains a kill sequence" to the "logic board needs replacement" in 2 minutes, it left me questioning his professionalism.

Again, I feel for the guy and I didn't "ask to speak to manager" or stirr up a mess. I though I knew what the problem was, I took care of it with my own money. If I was wrong the drive will die again.

16. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

really?

when i doubt replace it.....why ?

so you as a customer will never come back and be satisfied.

if they did not replace it , the issue reappears , your pissed , you trash talk the mac.

sequence of events....happens to me all the time.

17. babak thread starter macrumors member

Look, I see your logic but again, in my case the genius was saying my TimeCapsule has a back-up on it that keeps killing my drives :D If you are truly a person working with computers you realizae how absurd that is. I was sure if I didn't leave the store, I would have heard that my computer was "possessed".

I sort of feel that I've hit a nerve with my post, as no replies so far about the WD 640 drive, wich was the main focus of my post, but rather the Genius experience. To defend myself of attacks from the Genius supporters :) I would like to draw your attention to the fact I probably saved Genius/Apple a good sum of money -- I did not accept the unnecessary motherboard replacement, I did not insist that I get another drive, I was the ideal customer that day :D

18. Erkinshadow macrumors newbie

when I read this post I got that you had a bad drive. apple wanted to replace the logic board and not the drive. you replaced the bad drive on your own. every thing works. I don't see the miss understanding of the people posting.
    by the way how is the WD 640 drive performance wise, I was thing about getting it for my MacBook pro.

19. Erkinshadow macrumors newbie

20. Vikz macrumors regular

Vikz

Although you wont believe it if theres an error in your time machine back up, every time you make a restore with it, you are going to have problems with the OS in which you will keep restoring the data time and time again until the HD fails because of the stress. so the Genius was somewhat correct, he just did not use the appropriate wording.

and dont worry about saving apple money, they tax all faulty hard ware back to their manufacturers. Thats why they have to order parts to their logistics warehouses in order to know what is passed through warranty and to uncover fraud in their service centers :eek:

21. babak thread starter macrumors member

Ah, what a relief, I'm not alone in this cruel world :D Thank you brother!

The only noticeable difference from the stock Hitachi is that the WD is more quiet.