WD Black 2, Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drmaxmad, Jan 28, 2014.

1. drmaxmad macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Can any one know how to re-initialise WD Black 2, reason, i have formatted this drive on Mac OXS 10.9.1 and couldn't see the HDD portion and later on there support says that its only for windows.

So can any one guide me on how i can recover the drive or use it with my MacBook Pro.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just attach the drive and start Disk Utility then select the drive name itself (like WD Black or whatever), not just the partition, but the drive. Then go to the erase tab and name the drive and select Mac OS Extended in the drop down then apply the changes.

If you have installed any of the WD software that came with that drive, get rid of it as it has issues with Mavericks.

There is really no such thing as a Windows only hard drive. Any external drive like this can be used with either Windows or a Mac when properly formatted.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Weaselboy, the drive referenced is a new internal drive by WD that has a 120 GB SSD mated to a 1 TB HDD. Initially only the SSD is visible, the OS is installed there then the HDD becomes visible after the drivers are loaded (in Windows). WD is not supporting that drive on OS X (yet). Here's the drive.. http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1190

For the OP. What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahhh... gotcha. Thanks

I did see a PR when those came out, but did not pick up on the 2 in the OP's post.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The Anandtech review of your drive came out today and I noticed it appears to work on a Mac once you use a Windows machine to setup the partitions. So if you have access to a Windows machine, you might give this a shot. Here is the article.