WD Black HDDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kimbie, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Kimbie macrumors regular

Kimbie

Currently have the stock 500Gb 5400rpm drive in my MBP but as I am using it more and more as my main machine, i want to get some more speed out of it by fitting a 7200rpm drive.

Are the WD blacks the fastest ones on the market? Should I be looking at another make?

Thanks

Kimbie

2. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

If you want speed look at ssd.

3. Kimbie thread starter macrumors regular

Kimbie

SSDs are still to expensive and not large enough at the moment

4. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

This is my 5cents

SSD's are fast very fast indeed but the price £ per GB is horrific...
    im currently using 50% of my stock 320gb hard drive - if your looking at the best option i have read excellent things about a certain

Seagate momentus XT they do a 320gb and a 500gb and this is supposed to be the best mix between SSD and HDD :D

think when i last looked the 320gb was around the £80 mark and the 500gb £109

i've gotta claim through the insurance on my mbpro its had a drop :( and once its sorted i'm treating myself to the 500gb model :D

5. DarkVinda macrumors regular

DarkVinda

kimbie - you must have posted the same time as me :D

6. vukmaxim macrumors member

vukmaxim

Kimbie, IME WD 3200 BEKT is fast (there is 5000 BEKT also), Macbook boots in 22 seconds, and as you can see I have only 2.0 ghz, no clicking sounds, only a fan like noise noticeable from 7200 rpm , and ... it is cooler than stock hdd...I do not know how this is possible, but that is how it is :cool:
    5 years warranty is also welcomed

Cheers

7. Kimbie thread starter macrumors regular

Kimbie

Cheers for the info, that is the one I was looking at, but still going to check out the Segate drive to see what its price is like in the UK

8. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

I quite like the 500GB Scorpio Black, was looking at the Momentus, but the Scorpio went on sale at my local store, so I jumped on that so fast it made the clerk spin. SSD's rule for speed, but until the 240+GB drives get cheaper I just can't see me grabbing another one, I hate limiting the amount of stuff I can keep on my notebook.

9. Toraen macrumors member

I just put a 500gb WD Black in my 13" MBP - I love it. Don't detect any noticiable sound increase, and speed seems good (for a hard drive).

I had planned on getting the 640gb Blue (5400rpm) but they sold out. Reviews online said the performance boost of the 7200rpm black wasn't as big as they hoped.

Anyhow, happy with the choice.

(Was considering Momentus but reviews were all over the map on issues).