WD Black or Intel 320 SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saberon, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Saberon macrumors 6502a

I cant decide between these 2 drives and I've ordered each twice and cancelled twice because I can't choose!

My main concern with the SSD in TRIM as I won't be able to use it and the SSD will degrade in speeds. How bad does it get? I've heard nothing but bad news from that TRIM enabler program. Is the black worth it over the crappy 5400RPM drive?

Anyone have any advice/thoughts/suggestions

2. treestar macrumors 6502

The 320 has Garbage Collection so you shouldn't see a degrade in speeds. I've filled up my 320 already and after a simple file delete and trash empty I am still getting max spec out of my drive (I ran AJA System Test). Also, there are manual commands to TRIM the 320 if you are still concerned. I don't know anything about the Black, but I truly care for how silent the SSD is. My HDD used to make more noise than the CPU fan.

3. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Running the 320 with TRIM enabler with no problems. I would definitely recommend the SSD over traditional drives if you can afford it.

As for ordering and cancelling, at least install it and play with it for a month before returning it. You'll never decide if you don't try it out and see if one is too slow for you or not.

4. Shadow Runner macrumors regular

SSDs are useful for more than just speed. They are more durable, silent (I can hear my stock HDD right now), sometimes more energy efficient, and I think lighter weight.

If the storage size of the SSD is okay or if you can afford the larger size SSDs then the only thing that should be holding you back is the constant upgrading cycle tech products face.