WD Blue Scorpio 1TB drive: NOT READABLE BY MY COMPUTER!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ymacd, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ymacd macrumors newbie

HI -

I just bought a 2.5" SATA 1TB hard drive for my late 2008 MacBook 13" unibody laptop. My plan was to use: Super Duper to copy my current drive onto the new 1TB drive using an enclosure case, and then install the new one and boot up like normal. (I heard it takes a really long time to restore from Time Capsule.)

1st of all, I bought two different enclosures, and the 1TB drive doesn't seem to fit in either of them. They connect, but the top can't close far enough on either of them. I decided to just leave the top off and then plug it in.

When I did I got the big red stop sign! and a message saying that: "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer." with options to Initialize, ignore, or eject

When I clicked on initialize, the hard drive was seen in disk utility, and when I selected it, it said: S.M.A.R.T STATUS: NOT SUPPORTED
    Otherwise, the drive was not seen in my finder.

What does this mean? Problem with the drive? Problem with the enclosure case?

I do have my drive backed - up on my time capsule - but unfortunately all my start up disks that I got with the lap top are in storage out of state....
    Any suggestions?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you formatted the new 1TB HDD yet, preferably via Disk Utility?
    Use Mac OS Extended (Journaled), if you want to use it as internal HDD, as external use Non-Journaled.

S.M.A.R.T. status is not transferred via USB in most cases, but someone will chime in, at least that is my feeling (Déjà-vu).

Btw, as that HDD is 12.5mm high, it will not fit in many external enclosures, as they seem to be made for 9.5mm HDDs.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You have to format it for OS X. Use the "Erase" tab in Disk Utility and format it as OS Extended (Journaled).

4. ymacd thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!

Thanks - looks like it is working now : )

So, after it is done copying, I can switch them out and I won't need my OSX disks to boot up?

Can I do the hard drive and memory at the same time?

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you used the GUID partition table for the external HDD, then yes, you don't need the OS X DVD.

If you have enough hands, yes. Otherwise just replace the HDD and then the RAM, or vice versa. There will be no problem with that, but make sure the RAM snaps into the holding mechanism and sits tight.

6. ymacd thread starter macrumors newbie

uh OH... What's the GUID partition table?

Should I have already set that?
    Do I do it after it's done copying?

7. ymacd thread starter macrumors newbie

GUID Partition table

Disk Description : WDC WD10 TPVT-00HT5T0 Media Total Capacity : 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 Bytes)
    Connection Bus : USB Write Status : Read/Write
    Connection Type : External S.M.A.R.T. Status : Not Supported
    USB Serial Number : FDC0FD10FF00000FD0FF51C1097403 Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table

8. ymacd thread starter macrumors newbie

oops

I meant to write that: it looks like it is already set...

Thanks!

9. MARCO-H macrumors newbie

Did the drive @ 12.5mm fit?

Did the drive @12.5mm fit into a MacBook black. I have the late version but want to know if a TB will fit this form factor...
    Thanks for reply in advance...