WD Caviar Black 2TB

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cynicalone, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I just recieved the first of three WD Caviar Black 2TB (WD2001FASS). I'm replacing bay 2 threw 4 with these moving from WD Caviar Black 1TB's. Even though I consider Xbench to be for the most part worthless I went ahead and ran it on a the new drive and thought I would post it if anyone is interested in it.

Attached Files:

2. justit macrumors 6502a

They should be faster than your 1TB that used the 320GB platters as opposed to your new drives that use 500GB platters. Are these scores from a RAID0?

3. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

No, I just installed and formatted it. Haven't set up a RAID Volume with it yet.

4. justit macrumors 6502a

Ya post speeds when you get the 3 stripe RAID0 up. Would probably get closer to SSD speeds.

EDIT: Just realized you never mentioned what type of RAID ....wishful thinking :D

5. akadmon macrumors 68020

At $330 a pop they're overpriced, given that a 1TBs can be had for <$100. I'd be willing to pay $50 for the convenience of a single drive, but not $150!

6. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Can you give any information about noise?

I currently have 1TB Blacks in my Pro and they are too loud for me.
    How do they compare to the 2TB Blacks? Same noise level?

7. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I agree they are pricey but I needed more internal storage space. Maybe I should learn to delete some stuff. :)

My plan is to have 6TB of internal storage in bay's 2 threw 4. And then add an SSD in bay 1 for a boot drive. I can't give up my optical drives since I have to burn DVD's daily. I have to try and cram as much as I can in the space I have.

8. Cynicalone thread starter macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

To me it sounds the same. I find the Caviar Blacks to be very quite, but if the 1TB bothers you then the 2TB would probably be the same. There is a bit of ambient noise here that covers most of the noise from the Pro.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

That is pricey, as the enterprise version (RE4-GP 2TB) is selling for the same money, maybe a bit less! :eek: They should be closer to the $200USD mark, as the cost/GB isn't going to shift that much at release (~$230USD would seem reasonable at first due to limited supplies, but certainly not an extra $100 over that).

I've not found a location with the RE4 2TB 7200rpm (WD2003FYYS), so this is making me nervous.

10. fridgeymonster3 macrumors 6502

fridgeymonster3

I'm hoping to make a similar switch sometime in the future too. I just can't justify the cost yet and the wife has begun to censor my electronic (aka to her as "geek ****") purchases :mad:

11. Transporteur macrumors 68030

In germany the RE4-GP (FYPS) is sold for about 230€, whereas the Black is 270€.
    In general you pay the premium price for the RE drives, so I don't know what's wrong with the 2TB drives.

Anyway, that difference should make the decision, RE vs. Black, even easier. ;)

If they just weren't that noisy... :(

12. frimple macrumors 6502

LOL, my girlfriend works for a university as a purchasing agent. Sadly she picked up a new commodity (computers) recently. So I used to be able to get Newegg boxes without suspicion... not so much anymore :rolleyes:

13. akadmon macrumors 68020

So far I've found it easy to hide all the upgrades I've done to my MP from the "boss". She has no idea how to check what's inside the Mac! Unfortunately, that 30" LCD I'm thinking of getting will be a bit more tough to conceal from her bird-of-prey eyes :D

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

Ouch. I didn't realize that Germany was that high.

Here, consumer models are always cheaper for the same capacity than thier enterprise counterparts. What's making me nervous, is if the consumer unit is ~$330, what's the RE4 2TB going to go for? :eek: Keeping in mind, the 1TB RE3 is ~$160USD on the street.

I also use 1TB Blacks as backup drives, and haven't noticed any noise out of them. But I used rubber isolation on all the drives, and I can't even really hear the arrays as a result either. I do have a bit of fan noise that could be covering it up any thing left over though.

Maybe a few bottles of wine? :eek: Won't stop her reaction, but might reduce the pain a bit. :p

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would love one of these to replace my VelociRaptors. Well 4 of them.

Though if they cost more than $400, I may just go for a bunch of 15K Cheetahs.

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

For Workstation use, you'd be better off with Fujitu's (MBA3300RC), as that's what they're optimized for. They're not quite as large a capacity though (300GB rather than up to 450GB available with the Cheetah's). The Cheetah's are for database usage, and don't fare as well. Hitachi's fall behind both, but also have a 450GB drive. I'm just not a big fan of Hitachi, given their poor customer service.

NOTE: Fujitu transferred their HDD business to Toshiba (Oct. 1, 2009). MBA3300 page. Last I checked, the 300GB drives went for $330USD each, but on occasion, you can find them for $300USD.

17. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

And Samsung has 1.5 TB for under $100 too. So, yeah! Overpriced! :(

Bummer cuz these look like nice drives!

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Hmm.... Samsung or WD.... WD for the win! :eek: :p

They've been rather reliable at least, from what I've seen. Even the Blacks.

19. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

Replace the "threw" first. You'll quadruple your performance, surely. :D