WD D0064SC (64GB SSD) In Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rmwebs, Jul 5, 2010.

1. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Hi,

I'm going to be getting a Mac Pro soon. I'm looking at getting the Western Digital "SSC-D0064SC-2100" Solid state drive, however its a 2.5" drive.

Firstly - anyone used or recommend one of these?

Secondly - is there some form of adapter specific to the pro to up the size to fit the drivebay or will a generic one work?

Cheers!

2. strausd macrumors 68030

Something called an icy dock is what many people use. They are fairly cheap and seem to work well.

3. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

You could also get one of the Intel XM-25 G2 80 gb drives. The retail version comes with the bracket I think you want.

4. rmwebs thread starter macrumors 68040

Did look at that one actually. Unfortunatly it was ~£60+ more. I dont really need the extra space either so thought the WD would be better.

Looked at the Icy dock - can pick one up for £10 from scan.co.uk so will probably go for that :)

5. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

What about the other 2 ports on the motherboard, use one of them instead of taking the opticle port. From what i have read, there are 2 that can be used. Havent done it so dont know what cable you would need.

6. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Hi all

Can some one please advise what icy dock to get ? i can see over 50 on scan

7. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

I have that SSD sitting in my room right now from NewEgg for my Hackintosh. I will let you know how it performs when i get around to building it in the next few weeks. It's a great price (comparatively) and had some of the best read/write specs of all the drives I saw.