WD Elements not working with mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jamesl94, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Jamesl94 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

has probably asked a million times, but im pritty busy, so can't hang about searching.

I bought a WD Elements 320gb today with is mac compatable, but I just tried to drag some of my photos onto it, and it's saying "This item could not be moved because "Elements" cannot be modified.

Any help?

Thanks,

James

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What format (file system) does it use then?

Either check via Get Info in Finder or Disk Utility.

[​IMG]

PS: Till tomorrow then? The rest has to be searched I guess, I did my best in the short time you didn't have.

3. Jamesl94 thread starter macrumors regular

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you want to use that HDD for Mac OS X only and not for Windows or other OSs, use HFS as file system.
    Or partition it with one partition with NTFS or FAT32 for exchanging files with Windows or other OSs, and the other partition can be formatted with HFS+.

For more information, see below, or post above yours.

5. Jamesl94 thread starter macrumors regular

May sound really dumb, but all that confuses me? :confused:

I am asking to be spoon fead what I need to do step by step to put my pictures and files on it using a pc and mac? :eek:

Thanks,

James

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. Do you want to use the HDD with Mac OS X and Windows?
    Yes >>> 1.1
    No >>>1.2

In order to use it with Windows and Mac OS X, you can either partition the HDD or use the software I quoted above (and made the text bigger).
    To partition the HDD, you use Disk Utility again.
    Partition Your Hard Drive With Disk Utility
    Create one FAT32 or NTFS (if so, use NTFS-3G (linked above) to write to NTFS formatted volumes) partition and one HFS+ partition and select Master Boot Record under Options (below that partition scheme/graphic you probably used to resize the partitions).
    The FAT32 partition should be the first partition, if I remember correctly.​

For use with Mac OS X only use Disk Utility to erase the HDD and format it with Mac OS X Extended (HFS+).
    Format Your Hard Drive Using Disk Utility

More information needed? As you have time to reply, please read the links I provided.
    Or use MRoogle (my sig, too lazy to put a link onto it) to find hundreds of similar threads.