WD Elements stopped working mac book pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by africano, Feb 21, 2014.

1. africano macrumors member

Hey,

I loaded up my external wd elements and it was taking a long time to load.......then it showed up as UNNAMED instead of wd 5oo elements etc....so I thought it was stuck so I unplugged the usb cable and as I was doing it the folders came up but as I pulled the cable out they vanished.

Now I plug my cable in and it just comes up with "The computer cant read this disk" exit, initialize ir ignore....

Is my disk dead??

I can see the disk in disk utility but it doesnt let me repair or anything. SMART status says incompatible.

The disk is formatted for windows. Use it on my macbook pro just to watch movies, I cant write to it.

Is there anything I can do to fix it?? Or does this mean its dead?:(

Thanks, appreciate the help!

2. thetman macrumors member

Maybe someone else can give you soemthing to try under OS X but under Windows I would try running a check disk ("chkdsk /r") via command prompt. If Windows doesn't assign the drive a letter than either the drive or the USB controller could be failing.

3. africano thread starter macrumors member

Thanks,

Yes I will try and see if a pc will load it and if it does will try run a chkdsk...wd also have a download to test the hdd.

thanks.