Wd ext hd failure

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jozi, Nov 23, 2013.

1. jozi macrumors newbie

My 2TB WD Elements external drive has packed up.
    It's approximately 2 years old.
    My imac doesn't see it anymore and nor does any other computer, be it mac or pc.
    The pilot light still lights up.
    Where can I learn more about removing and replacing the enclosure?
    Will I at least be able to recover and transfer the data that is on it?

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you can't see it, what makes you think it's the enclosure? It's more likely that the drive itself has died, which means that getting any data from it is going to be tough.

In order to test the drive, you'll need to remove it and put it into a third party enclosure...These are not expensive...If the drive still fails to appear, then the drive has almost certainly had it. The only way to recover data from the platters is to pay a third party data recovery company....Very expensive.

3. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

Hang on a bit - a majority of my "disk drive" failures have been fixed by getting the actual drive out of the enclosure and putting the drive into a new enclosure.

Typically, I see the same symptoms that that OP wrote.

Putting the drive into a new enclosure is the first step I'd recommend.

But I do agree if you can't see the drive once it's in the new enclosure, you're probably out of luck...

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

It might be easier and cheaper to just recover the data from your data backup.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

I agree with the recommendations above -- that you open the WD enclosure, take the internal drive OUT, and then try using it with a different enclosure.

Actually, the BEST thing to use is a "USB3/SATA docking station". Just drop the drive into the dock, connect it to the Mac, and go.

These gadgets cost only about $25, are simple to use, and will perform the same as if the drive were installed into an enclosure. To see what's available, go to amazon.com, and enter "usb3 sata dock" into the search field.

One other thing, may be relevant to you, may not be.
    I have _heard_ from others that in some cases pre-packaged drives are now coming with internal drives that do not use a "standard" SATA connector between the drive and the mounting board. Not sure whether this applies with the drive you have or not. Only way to know is to open it and check.

6. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Not sure about 3.5" drives, but that's definitely the case with newer WD 2.5" drives:
    [​IMG]
    Source