WD External Drive-- double copies of files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jadorexo, Aug 17, 2010.

1. jadorexo macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new (as you can tell) and my dad bought me a WD external hard drive thing for me from Best Buy (I guess they were on sale) for me to use with my MacBook... anyways... I have to go to the Genius Bar tomorrow to fix my laptop and needless to say I've had quite many experiences where the people at Apple just delete my entire hard drive and I'm thinking ahead and trying to back up my computer just in case.

I have previously backed up my MacBook once and I was wondering how do you go about just adding new files to the ones you've replaced and not go about having doubles of everything (2 of the same songs, etcetc). Sorry this is a pretty stupid question but I'm actually clueless and don't know what to do... I don't want to lose any of the pictures, documents, and songs I originally backed up because I've deleted them from my current laptop but how do i just add the "new" stuff not previously on my MacBook onto the external (without having to DRAG each individual file to the hard drive to "copy"?

There must be an easier way because right now.. I'm copying my entire MacBook over to the external. :\

HELP!
    And thanks in advance!!

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

It largely depends on HOW you implemented your first "back up".

Let me know how you did that and we'll see if there's an easy way of doing this.

3. jadorexo thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG a reply!! You're awesome.

So

[​IMG]

is the screenshot I just took like 5 seconds ago.

I basically did the same thing I did last time again.

So set up backup plan > picked the HD external > selected the options I wanted to be backed up (ex: desktop, documents, my movies, my music, pictures, microsoft word documents, etcetcetc)

[​IMG]

and great... now after having taken that screenshot i don't know what just happened but i think it just stopped the progress i was making.

I am now looking at

[​IMG]

I guess my main question is: Is "backing up" files COMPLETELY different from having a physical copy on an external hard drive?

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

First Off, I'm not sure that "WD Anywhere Back Up" is the easiest (or most popular) software used to back up, but you've used that and unless you want to redo all your back ups, I guess that's what we're going to proceed upon.

To answer your question, I think WD Anywhere Back Up is copying all the files that you have changed since your last back up. However, the problem with this is, if the Genius Bar formats your HDD, I don't know how WD Anywhere Back Up would let you restore back to your original files.

Now I note that you have to go in tomorrow, but I would suggest that you try some new software and you have three options:

a) Time Machine (an incremental back up utility written by Apple which runs in the back ground every hour to monitor any changes you have made to the files on your boot up drive)

b) Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) which just does what its name suggests - copies your entire HDD to an external Drive which will be bootable and run as if it were an internal drive.

c) Super Duper which is similar to CCC but you have to pay $10 or something.

I'm sure there are other utilities, but those are the three I'd suggest.

But in summary:

1) You're probably backing your stuff up, but if the Genius Bar formats your HDD then the restoration process may be a bitch;

2) I would therefore suggest that you format your external HDD and either start using Time Machine or CCC (Or super duper).

5. jadorexo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your explanation. I think I'm just going to take my HD piece of *@&#&@& hard drive with me to the Genius Bar and ask for their opinion about WTF I actually did. As of right now, I'm pretty sure I have to copies of everything... from looking at this:

[​IMG]

And to think that I like to say that I like technology.

But what do you mean I should "format my external HDD?"
    I'm guessing CCC is free?

Honestly, which one do you suggest I use? I have a pretty old MacBook... bought it fall of 2007 and I haven't upgraded any of the OS and stuff. I just wanted SOMETHING I could just export old photos and documents to and stuff I don't need. BLERGh.

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Formatting your External HDD wil erase everything on it and prepare it for use with CCC, Super Duper etc. You can use Disk Utility, included with OS X, for this.
    EDIT: it will, therefore, erase your existing backups and also the bundled documentation and utilities that came with the WD drive, that appear in your screenshot. So copy any WD stuff to your main hard drive first.

CCC is donationware, which means if you like it and use it, you are invited to make a donation to the developer so that he (Mike Bombich) can continue, well, developing.

I'm happy with CCC but you'll find others on these forums that prefer Super Duper. I'd recommend the one you feel happy with and are most likely to use, because that makes for a better back up tool.

Exporting "stuff you don't need" isn't backing up, that's needing more storage space than you've got on your first hard drive. Backing up (with CCC/SD) preserves the stuff you do need in the event of failure / Apple Genius Bar intervention. :)

7. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

I prefer CCC, so much so that I felt it justified the relevant donation.

Format as has been pointed out means to cleanse the HDD (whether internal or external) and start afresh.

Thus, I'd say use CCC and just clone your current internal HDD to the external HDD